Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't rent a movie with my Apple TV+ Subscription?

I enjoy my Apple TV App on my LG OLED HDTV, I do NOT own any other Apple product, when I try to Rent a movie, it tells me I need to subscribe using an Apple I Phone....etc. Is there a is a way to PAY Apple to watch a movie w/o an IPhone?

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 2:41 AM

Renting or buying a movie doesn’t require subscribing. Some titles may be only available through subscribing, not through renting.

Renting, buying, or subscribing requires a pre-authorized payment method linked to your Apple ID account. If you have no Apple device, then you can manage that in the iTunes application. Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods if you don't have an Apple device - Apple Support

- Get Apple TV+ - Apple Support

- Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

- Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

- Subscribe to Apple TV channels in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

There is a difference between the Apple TV app and Apple TV+ app. The latter is only for access to Apple TV+ content, not iTunes Store movies for buy or rent, not licensed subscription tv channels. Get the Apple TV app or Apple TV+ app on your smart TV, streaming device, or game console - Apple Support. The availability of these apps may differ by smart TV model, probably one or the other, but not both.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2022 2:41 AM in response to cyberized39

Renting or buying a movie doesn’t require subscribing. Some titles may be only available through subscribing, not through renting.

Renting, buying, or subscribing requires a pre-authorized payment method linked to your Apple ID account. If you have no Apple device, then you can manage that in the iTunes application. Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods if you don't have an Apple device - Apple Support

- Get Apple TV+ - Apple Support

- Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

- Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

- Subscribe to Apple TV channels in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

There is a difference between the Apple TV app and Apple TV+ app. The latter is only for access to Apple TV+ content, not iTunes Store movies for buy or rent, not licensed subscription tv channels. Get the Apple TV app or Apple TV+ app on your smart TV, streaming device, or game console - Apple Support. The availability of these apps may differ by smart TV model, probably one or the other, but not both.

Apr 18, 2022 3:27 PM in response to cyberized39

Thank God, with His help and yours, and alot of trial and error, it is "sorted out", this is what I did: Having only my Apple TV+ Subscription, I googled up, "iTunes [store]" and signed in with my present Account, it scanned my system and I found where it found my A/V Receiver and my LG OLED Model and my Computer. I decided to not gamble too much $ in order to see if using the store I could rent/buy a Movie and see if it would be sent to my TV+ APP, Halleluia it was. I then ran into a new problem to solve: that AppleTV APP is located on my Nvidia Shield and I could not get it to play, it would start and then stop and tell me to check my Internet Connection, I did than and rebooted my N. Shield to NO avail. Then it dawned on me, I have installed the A. TV+ on the LG TV too, I should try playing that same .99 Movie straight to and thru my HDTV in stead of using my streaming device: WALA! Success! Hope this might help someone else that might be dealing with same or similar problem.

Apr 15, 2022 1:08 PM in response to cyberized39

Apple TV Plus subscription only gives you access to the Apple Original movies and shows, which are included in that section of the app. You can also subscribe to other Apple TV Channel subscriptions. The storefront is not part of your subscription, those are individual titles that each come with a fee to rent or purchase. Recently that access was taken away from many 3rd party devices, you would need to contact Apple to inquire as to why. As it stand you would need to use another Apple device in order to initiate, but once it is part of your library you would then have access on all devices.

Can't rent a movie with my Apple TV+ Subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.