Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"System" Storage taking too much space

I have Macbook Pro (Retina - 13 inch, Late 2013) with 8GB memory 1600 MHz DDR3, 256 GB running on MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6. Out of 256 GB, 221 GB is used by System. This seems not correct. Please let me know if I should reinstall OS or what are the steps to be followed. I have shutdown and booted in safe boot mode and tried as well. Any suggestions welcome. Dont see this in any of my other systems.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 10:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 4:11 AM

Actually, had a chat with Apple engineer and he was very helpful. He walked me through a few steps and found that hidden files were occupying most of the space and was classified under system. Command + shift + . to find hidden files and there were tons of them from various applications. So cleaned them up and got 200 GB back. Thanks for replying.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 4:11 AM in response to TheLittles

Actually, had a chat with Apple engineer and he was very helpful. He walked me through a few steps and found that hidden files were occupying most of the space and was classified under system. Command + shift + . to find hidden files and there were tons of them from various applications. So cleaned them up and got 200 GB back. Thanks for replying.

Apr 16, 2022 2:15 AM in response to Satsubr

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Apr 27, 2022 7:31 PM in response to Satsubr

Satsubr Said:

"'System' Storage taking too much space: Command + shift + . to find hidden files and there were tons of them from various applications. So cleaned them up and got 200 GB back. Thanks for replying."

-------

You are welcome.

Please Provide the Following.

What apps were these? Where were these file located within the macOS?

"System" Storage taking too much space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.