Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

microphone button annoying "ding" sound

Is there any way to silence the annoying sounds made when dictation turns on and off?

I need to use dictation when that loud sound is not allowed in my environment.

It is especially bad when dictation keeps turning off while I am speaking, making another loud sound. Because I was still dictating, I have to turn it back on and it makes the first loud sound again. And so it goes on and off and on, several times a minute.

Volume in the control center does not do it. Neither does the volume buttons. The only way to silence it is the switch that turns off all sounds including the ring phone. That is no good to me. Just because I am entering text I don't want to miss phone calls. After all, it is still a phone!

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 16, 2022 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2022 12:01 PM

When I replied with a solution, I said where I found it, but I should have simply stated what it was. Please accept my apology.

"Tap the microphone, without saying anything hit ‘down volume’ button on the side taking it all the way down, tab microphone again. No more DING! "

Nice thing about it is that you can take the volume down to whatever level you want without changing the volume of other dings.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2022 12:01 PM in response to Philthy77

When I replied with a solution, I said where I found it, but I should have simply stated what it was. Please accept my apology.

"Tap the microphone, without saying anything hit ‘down volume’ button on the side taking it all the way down, tab microphone again. No more DING! "

Nice thing about it is that you can take the volume down to whatever level you want without changing the volume of other dings.

Apr 16, 2022 6:10 AM in response to BadBernie

Repying to my own question. The answer was posted here: discussions.apple.com/thread/8646528.

That was way back in 2018. I searched the web for 2 hours without running across the answer, and then, as soon as I posted this, I continued trying different keywords, and there it was, right in the place where I was posting.

Can anyone tell me any practical use for this loud sound every time dictation starts or ends.

Equally annoying is the way dictation is turning itself off before I finish dictating. This started happening after the iOS 15.4.1 update today, 4/16/2022. For those who don't know the carefully hidden secret of controlling this annoyance, it happens several times per minute because of the "automatic dictation interruption" feechure.

Human factors engineering, Apple?

NO, you would have to care what your customers are getting for their money, wouldn't you!

You might also have to have more than a kindergarten education.

microphone button annoying "ding" sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.