Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware - Wiping SSD Advice Sought

After almost six months of wondering whether I have malware that the anti-malware programs don't see and sometimes seeing strange behavior by my M1 Mac mini, I'm giving a delete and clean reinstall a hard look. I understand that the source of the OS to be installed is a partition on the SSD itself. Is there any way that this can be corrupted by malware as well? Do I need to go to Apple and get something totally fresh or am I just completely out of luck. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 2:03 PM

Thank you for your offer but I think I bothered contributors in here enough over the past few months. Maybe I should just listen to Etresoft and trust that my computer is safe - at least for now. Thanks again for your ongoing offers of support. You're good people.

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 17, 2022 9:59 AM in response to PhotosPete

To see where you currently stand now in regards to the health of your system please download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the first window that comes up so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click the About… vurron and read the info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we'll evaluate the report and try to determine where you can improve your situation. With the developer of the app here in this topic we'll get the best evaluation possible.

Apr 17, 2022 8:30 AM in response to PhotosPete

PhotosPete wrote:

After almost six months of wondering whether I have malware

You don't and you never did.

sometimes seeing strange behavior by my M1 Mac mini

All of the strange behaviour you saw was either normal or directly caused by all of the many "security" apps you installed.

I'm giving a delete and clean reinstall a hard look.

Please don't.

Is there any way that this can be corrupted by malware as well?

No. And even if there were, you never had any malware installed in the first place.

Do I need to go to Apple and get something totally fresh or am I just completely out of luck.

You are completely out of luck. This is as good as it gets. You are deep in a rabbit hole of your own creation.

Apr 17, 2022 9:19 AM in response to etresoft

Thanks for your input. Let me tell you what brought me to this point if I can. Even before I thought I had malware there were informational boxes flashing on my screen. They were there less than a second and I was never able to read them. They looked like the "Verifying File" boxes that I see when some non-App Store software updates.

Yesterday, one of those "Verifying File" boxes appeared on my screen long enough for me to see what it was verifying, but it disappeared an about three seconds. The file name inside was gibberish, something like %%##@@ etc. Another contributor here asked me if I was able to make a screen grab and I wasn't. He suggested I go into the log folder, where I saw hundreds of lines of data. Some talked of thing like software bridge failure, etc. I was in over my head, thanked him and quit the process.

Admittedly, I am a novice here. I've used MACS since the late G4 PowerPC days but never had to troubleshoot or investigate them. And Yes, I ran the Intego anti-virus produce since the early Intel days and even MacKeeper before that. I never had a problem. I even used CCleaner to keep things tidy.

A MAC technician I once worked with advised me to turn cookies off in Safari. I did so and one day after doing an incremental Monterey update, I tried to log in here to ask about the possibility of whitelisting cookies. At first Safari let me in but the window closed (if I remember correctly) and another Safari window asking me for my system password appeared. I did a hard reset and since then worried that I let something in, even though the security software says I have not.

Here's where I am. Yesterday's Verifying File window with the gibberish file name combined with the Safari issue about two months ago, has me wanting to delete the SSD. Am I over reacting?

Malware - Wiping SSD Advice Sought

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.