Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows malware on Macbook Pro?

Is it possible that my macbook pro is infected with windows malware? When I upload suspicious files to virustotal.com, they often link to windows malware (svchost.exe, rundll32 malware etc).

I have wiped the harddisk multiple times, but strange files en folder keep comming back to my mac...also legitimate files/ applications are being maliciously modified and acces rights are modified (i don’t use an admin account for daily use)

I also saw that the efi partition of my mac is in MSDOS format, is this normal? I never used windows / bootcamp on my mac.

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 12:13 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 22, 2020 2:50 PM in response to RedFox9

The Anti-virus industry thrives on fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD).

The more people they can scare, the more money they can make.

You can certainly download something that contains Windows malware, but it will have no effect on your Mac. Could you possibly transmit it to a Windows user? Sure, but trying to prevent that would just be co-enabling their poor OS choice.

Oct 30, 2020 2:48 AM in response to dialabrain

A couple of years ago I used an asus laptop, it got infected with rootkits and i think my mac got infected afterwards by an external hard drive that i also used on the asus. as I said, Access rights / user rights are modified so I cannot make changes to certain files and programs myself. When I do a clean install I see a lot of error messages in the log files and the button with "send to apple" does not work. When my macbook goes to sleep and then activates the mac, I first see a login screen with a loading bar, as if something is being installed, this screen then disappears after which I enter my password. sometimes the login screen returns a second time (asks for password again). No I’m not paranoia / scared.

These are just examples, I'll spare you the whole list of bugs. But I do find it annoying that these things are never taken seriously by apple. I paid a 250 euro guarantee on top of the purchase price, with the promise to be insured for everything. When I first went to the apple store with this I was looked at as if I am crazy. I recently decided to try again this way, but in my opinion I am again not taken seriously....

Windows malware on Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.