Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Volume/Mute malfunction

Hello. I have a problem with my iPhone X that suddenly got issue. The Volume Up/Down Button suddenly not working, the Mute switch is not working either. And then, my iPhone doesn't even want to play any video or audio (from Photos App, Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, anything really). I cannot hard restart the iPhone (Volume Up > Volume Down > Lock Button) since the button is malfunctioning. However, when I connect to a headphone (Wired or Wireless), I can play any video or audio, but the Mute and Volume Up/Down is still not working. When I disconnect the phone from the headphone, I can't play any video or audio anymore. Can someone tell me a fix? I tried to shutdown the phone, no luck. I tried to Reset All Settings, no luck. I tried the Reset Network Settings method (This fixed the video and audio problem for 3 days before the issue came back, but not the buttons). I really hope I don't have to Restore my iPhone to factory settings and lost all my personal data.

iPhone X

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 1:48 PM

adejudoyono wrote:

Hello. I have a problem with my iPhone X that suddenly got issue. The Volume Up/Down Button suddenly not working, the Mute switch is not working either.

If a button or switch isn't working on your iPhone or iPad, here are a few steps that might fix the issue. If they don't, you'll need to set up a repair. Remove any protective films or cases that might block the button or switch. Check for debris or dirt around the button or switch and clean with a soft cloth.

If a button or switch isn't working on your iPhone or iPad

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2022 1:48 PM in response to adejudoyono

adejudoyono wrote:

Hello. I have a problem with my iPhone X that suddenly got issue. The Volume Up/Down Button suddenly not working, the Mute switch is not working either.

If a button or switch isn't working on your iPhone or iPad, here are a few steps that might fix the issue. If they don't, you'll need to set up a repair. Remove any protective films or cases that might block the button or switch. Check for debris or dirt around the button or switch and clean with a soft cloth.

If a button or switch isn't working on your iPhone or iPad

iPhone X Volume/Mute malfunction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.