Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Users & Groups image automatically changing to iCloud/Apple ID image

For years I've used the default Yin Yang icon for the image that I assigned to my admin login account in Users & Groups on my MacBook Pro.

Suddenly, as of a couple days ago, I opened my laptop to log-in and the Yin Yang icon in Users & Groups was replaced with the image that I use for my iCloud/Apple ID.

My wife and I share the one iCloud/Apple ID but she has her own MacBook Air and on her admin login account the image in Users & Groups changed from the yellow-rose image to the image of the iCloud/Apple ID image.

It seems impossible now to separate the image used for iCloud/Apple ID from the image used with the Users & Groups image.

I like the image I use for iCloud because that's what shows up when I call my wife's iPhone from my iPhone. But I don't necessarily want that same image on my Users & Groups admin login or her login either.

Any one else notice this sudden change? Both computers have been running macOS 12.3.1 for a couple weeks now, so it's hard to understand how this change occurred just a couple days ago.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 10:53 AM

Hi Maya Dobroth,

It is the case that the Apple ID syncs information between devices it is signed in with. Apple does recommend that each family member has their own Apple ID. Review Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support for more details.

When it comes to chaining the log in icon, you can try to toggle it back in System Preferences > Users & Groups. Then click on the photo to Edit. See Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac for more information.

You can also check and edit the photo used for the contact by following Update contact information in Contacts on Mac and if the contacts are not syncing on your phone review Edit contacts on iPhone as well.

Another setting you can check is if the contact photo is being shared by reviewing Share your name and photo in Messages on Mac and follow the steps under "Stop sharing your name and photo" if it is being shared.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 10:53 AM in response to Maya Dobroth

Hi Maya Dobroth,

It is the case that the Apple ID syncs information between devices it is signed in with. Apple does recommend that each family member has their own Apple ID. Review Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support for more details.

When it comes to chaining the log in icon, you can try to toggle it back in System Preferences > Users & Groups. Then click on the photo to Edit. See Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac for more information.

You can also check and edit the photo used for the contact by following Update contact information in Contacts on Mac and if the contacts are not syncing on your phone review Edit contacts on iPhone as well.

Another setting you can check is if the contact photo is being shared by reviewing Share your name and photo in Messages on Mac and follow the steps under "Stop sharing your name and photo" if it is being shared.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day.

Users & Groups image automatically changing to iCloud/Apple ID image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.