Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to change password for other user as Admin

Currently using an Admin account on my MacBook Pro 2019 running macOS Monterey and trying to access other (standard) account because I can't seem to login (password for that account literally just sopped working after messing with GeneratedUID from this link: ****

I need to access that account for some files and every time I try to change the password of that account using my Admin account through system preferences I get hit with "Reset password failed."

Trying to do it through terminal its: "passwd: Authentication server failed to complete the requested operation.  Authentication server failed to complete the requested operation."

Is there any way to get into that account or recover some files at all?

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 5:33 AM

afonso33 wrote:

Hey, what happened originally was that was an admin account and I was trying to delete a third user using the solution on the link that I posted, copying the GeneratedUID from the 3rd one onto and pasting it to that one, I believe that's what messed it up as even in recovery mode I can't reset password.

OK. The note from the moderators suggested what they removed was personal information. It sounds like what they removed was simply a link to dangerous information. Obviously they were correct on that point. 😄

The problem here is that there are two identifiers. There is a UID which is the standard, traditional Unix user id. The root user has UID 0. Most normal users have UIDs starting at 501. The next one would be 502, then 503, etc. It is possible to move a user account by changing the UID. The trick is that you also have to change the ownership of all the files in the home directory. Normally that would be done in the Terminal. Maybe you could do it in the Finder too. There is no guarantee that this would be successful however. Mass changing of permissions is tricky stuff.

However, you specifically referred to GeneratedUID, which is something different. This uses the UUID (Universally Unique Identifier - not true, it's way not "universal"). I don't know what this identifier is used for nor what happens when you change it. My guess is that it is a "modern" UID that is associated with ACL permissions. The idea is that if you had a network of computers, all users would be 501. Therefore, you would need something more unique to differentiate each 501 user from all the other 501 users.

But if the GeneratedUID is the one you changed, you'll find it very difficult to recover. There might be some really low-level Terminal tricks where you could look for evidence of some no-longer-used UUID.

I recommend just copying that user's data elsewhere and deleting the user account. You'll never get it back. You will not be able to go into any of the user's directories. You will have to copy the top level directory, maybe the entire /Users/user directory or the individual Desktop, Documents, etc. folders. When you do that, the Finder will prompt you for an admin password and it will copy the data.

I only wanna be able to get into that account as it is my most used one, do you still think its possible?

To be clear - you will never, ever be able to "get into" that account again. It's dead, Jim. You can salvage the data. All the permissions on that data will be scrambled. You won't ever be able to "use" it again. All you can do is create a new user account. You should be able to copy these documents and manually change the permissions. But you can only do this with the documents. Do NOT attempt to re-use any data from the "Library" folder. You can recover any data from iCloud, which hopefully you were using. You might be able to recover things like e-mail manually, but it will be rather difficult.

You did get lucky by having a backup Admin account. That's always a great thing to have. Imagine how much fun this would be if this were your only account?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 5:33 AM in response to afonso33

afonso33 wrote:

Hey, what happened originally was that was an admin account and I was trying to delete a third user using the solution on the link that I posted, copying the GeneratedUID from the 3rd one onto and pasting it to that one, I believe that's what messed it up as even in recovery mode I can't reset password.

OK. The note from the moderators suggested what they removed was personal information. It sounds like what they removed was simply a link to dangerous information. Obviously they were correct on that point. 😄

The problem here is that there are two identifiers. There is a UID which is the standard, traditional Unix user id. The root user has UID 0. Most normal users have UIDs starting at 501. The next one would be 502, then 503, etc. It is possible to move a user account by changing the UID. The trick is that you also have to change the ownership of all the files in the home directory. Normally that would be done in the Terminal. Maybe you could do it in the Finder too. There is no guarantee that this would be successful however. Mass changing of permissions is tricky stuff.

However, you specifically referred to GeneratedUID, which is something different. This uses the UUID (Universally Unique Identifier - not true, it's way not "universal"). I don't know what this identifier is used for nor what happens when you change it. My guess is that it is a "modern" UID that is associated with ACL permissions. The idea is that if you had a network of computers, all users would be 501. Therefore, you would need something more unique to differentiate each 501 user from all the other 501 users.

But if the GeneratedUID is the one you changed, you'll find it very difficult to recover. There might be some really low-level Terminal tricks where you could look for evidence of some no-longer-used UUID.

I recommend just copying that user's data elsewhere and deleting the user account. You'll never get it back. You will not be able to go into any of the user's directories. You will have to copy the top level directory, maybe the entire /Users/user directory or the individual Desktop, Documents, etc. folders. When you do that, the Finder will prompt you for an admin password and it will copy the data.

I only wanna be able to get into that account as it is my most used one, do you still think its possible?

To be clear - you will never, ever be able to "get into" that account again. It's dead, Jim. You can salvage the data. All the permissions on that data will be scrambled. You won't ever be able to "use" it again. All you can do is create a new user account. You should be able to copy these documents and manually change the permissions. But you can only do this with the documents. Do NOT attempt to re-use any data from the "Library" folder. You can recover any data from iCloud, which hopefully you were using. You might be able to recover things like e-mail manually, but it will be rather difficult.

You did get lucky by having a backup Admin account. That's always a great thing to have. Imagine how much fun this would be if this were your only account?

Apr 17, 2022 6:25 PM in response to afonso33

Can you give us the source of this "messing with GeneratedUID" information? I realize that the moderators have removed some information. I'm not asking for that information. I'm asking for whatever web page led you to hack around on something. I'm hoping to find out what you had changed so that I can tell you how to fix the original problem of not being able to log in.

You don't want to change the password. I'm not sure why it isn't working. But even if it did, it would leave that account in a very poor state. The password would no long match the keychain and the account would be practically unusable. It would be better to un-mess with the GeneratedUID and fix the account.

If you are familiar with the Terminal, then you could do "sudo zsh" to become the root user and access the files you are looking for. Don't try to full enable the root user. That will mess things up even more.

Without using Terminal, you should be able to navigate to the other user's home directory. Then, just drag those folders to a safe place in the current user's home directory. You will be prompted for the admin password in order to make the copy.

Apr 17, 2022 6:30 PM in response to etresoft

Apr 17, 2022 6:37 PM in response to Barney-15E

Changing permissions to Read & Write on Get Info on the home folder for the user doesn't seem to work... I get the following error message when trying to open any of the folders inside (eg. Desktop) "The folder “Desktop” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

It also says I have no access on that same Get Info Page. I am sure I am admin and this user is standard.

Apr 17, 2022 6:39 PM in response to afonso33

Changing permissions to Read & Write on Get Info on the home folder for the user doesn't seem to work... I get the following error message when trying to open any of the folders inside (eg. Desktop) "The folder “Desktop” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

It also says I have no access on that same Get Info Page. I am sure I am admin and this user is standard.

Then you will have to use Terminal as noted by etresoft. Finder has a bit of its own controls on some things.

Unable to change password for other user as Admin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.