Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find my Apple Pencil with the Find My app

I have lost my Apple Pencil a couple of times. Just around the house and not for very long, but it concerns me. I bought a strap that wraps around the case, so I can store it when not in use. That helps, but why doesn’t the Find My App allow me to locate my Apple Pencil? Since it is a blue tooth device, I wouldn’t think that it would be very hard. The Pencils are expensive, and too easily lost. Will Apple be correcting this anytime in the near future?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 10:35 AM

There are no technical methods by which to locate a lost or mislaid Apple Pencil. Your only option to locate a Pencil is the Mark #1 eyeball…

As for being a Bluetooth device, that is true - but consider that a motionless Pencil will automatically shut-down its BTLE radio to preserve its tiny battery. As such, you’ll only be able to detect its Blue signal for a few minutes.

Similarly, the Apple Find My App is reliant upon lost devices having GPS and/or an active WiFi network connection to communicate location data - neither of which are applicable to an Apple Pencil.

Other devices, such as AirTag, use a W1 Ultra-Wideband radio (and Bluetooth) for detection at short range by an iPhone - W1 also not applicable to an Apple Pencil.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 10:35 AM in response to jbugger

There are no technical methods by which to locate a lost or mislaid Apple Pencil. Your only option to locate a Pencil is the Mark #1 eyeball…

As for being a Bluetooth device, that is true - but consider that a motionless Pencil will automatically shut-down its BTLE radio to preserve its tiny battery. As such, you’ll only be able to detect its Blue signal for a few minutes.

Similarly, the Apple Find My App is reliant upon lost devices having GPS and/or an active WiFi network connection to communicate location data - neither of which are applicable to an Apple Pencil.

Other devices, such as AirTag, use a W1 Ultra-Wideband radio (and Bluetooth) for detection at short range by an iPhone - W1 also not applicable to an Apple Pencil.

How do I find my Apple Pencil with the Find My app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.