Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 4 - Sudden Green Line on Display

Dear community,

I am very disappointed with my year and a half old iPad Air. I have many apple products and was always happy.

I was browsing Apple Maps on my iPad Air as I am on a trip, it was lying flat on a table top when all of a sudden a green line appeared on its display. It appears green most of the time, but it really depends on the content being displayed. Sometimes its black or even white. It’s been annoying me for over a month. This evening I was listening to music on the Apple Music app with the lyrics on screen and I noticed the green line flickering. Suddenly it disappeared for a good 2 mins and I thought it was fixed, but it returned right after that. A couple of minutes after that I was browsing Safari for a possible fix and it once again went away for a good couple of minutes only to return. I had reset my iPad and followed all the possible fixes I could find online. I cannot afford to replace the display but after seeing that the line actually disappeared I don’t think I need my display replaced.

Is there anything you can suggest for me please?

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 4:17 PM

Expanding upon Lobsterghost1’s reply, a reliable method to confirm a screen or other hardware fault is to take a screenshot when the fault is evident - and then review the captured screenshot image...

When reviewed, if the coloured line is not present in the screenshot image, then you have demonstrated that you do have a hardware fault that, sooner or later, may become sufficiently severe that repair or replacement of the iPad are the only options. If the line is visible in the screenshot image, then something other than hardware will be the cause.

Note: When reviewing the image, rotate the iPad screen orientation by 90°, from Portrait to Landscape (or voce versa), as this will ensure that the image does not coincide with screen defects if present.

Take a screenshot on your iPad – Apple Support

If a hardware fault is confirmed - and you cannot live with the problem - your iPad will require repair:

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

If you have benefit of an active AppleCare+ plan, you will only pay a nominal excess/deductible fee - otherwise the repair will be expensive, typically 60% of the “as new” cost of the iPad.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 4:17 PM in response to Danielborg3

Expanding upon Lobsterghost1’s reply, a reliable method to confirm a screen or other hardware fault is to take a screenshot when the fault is evident - and then review the captured screenshot image...

When reviewed, if the coloured line is not present in the screenshot image, then you have demonstrated that you do have a hardware fault that, sooner or later, may become sufficiently severe that repair or replacement of the iPad are the only options. If the line is visible in the screenshot image, then something other than hardware will be the cause.

Note: When reviewing the image, rotate the iPad screen orientation by 90°, from Portrait to Landscape (or voce versa), as this will ensure that the image does not coincide with screen defects if present.

Take a screenshot on your iPad – Apple Support

If a hardware fault is confirmed - and you cannot live with the problem - your iPad will require repair:

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

If you have benefit of an active AppleCare+ plan, you will only pay a nominal excess/deductible fee - otherwise the repair will be expensive, typically 60% of the “as new” cost of the iPad.

iPad Air 4 - Sudden Green Line on Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.