Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive not showing up

I have a Mac Air (earlier model, Mac Air 13 maybe ? I received it from school around 2019 I think?) and desperately need to clear some space.

Just bought a new Seagate Hard Drive 2TB... plenty of space, brand new.

The problem is, the hard drive isn't showing up. Light is flashing and it's making a beeping noise, but nowhere on my Mac. I'm not exactly tech savvy either...

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 11:37 PM

auswim_1922 Said:

"hard drive not showing up: I have a Mac Air (earlier model, Mac Air 13 maybe ? I received it from school around 2019 I think?) and desperately need to clear some space. Just bought a new Seagate Hard Drive 2TB... plenty of space, brand new. The problem is, the hard drive isn't showing up. Light is flashing and it's making a beeping noise, but nowhere on my Mac. I'm not exactly tech savvy either..."

-------

Mount the Drive in Recovery Mode:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2022 11:37 PM in response to auswim_1922

auswim_1922 Said:

"hard drive not showing up: I have a Mac Air (earlier model, Mac Air 13 maybe ? I received it from school around 2019 I think?) and desperately need to clear some space. Just bought a new Seagate Hard Drive 2TB... plenty of space, brand new. The problem is, the hard drive isn't showing up. Light is flashing and it's making a beeping noise, but nowhere on my Mac. I'm not exactly tech savvy either..."

-------

Mount the Drive in Recovery Mode:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Intel or Silicon) . Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

hard drive not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.