Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 macbook air battery health

i never use my macbook air battery power above 50%

i never overcharge or overdrain, i never charge my macbook air above 77% and never drain below 30%.

but even my battery health reduced by 4% in 7 months.

is this normal?

i think it would be normal for people who charge their battery normally (100%)

please suggest me if i am wrong or if i am hurting my battery.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 18, 2022 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 12:26 AM

Yes that's normal. Battery capacity is a non linear progression; it can sit for months, even years, at a given lower capacity. 80% is where Apple advises you replace it.

It's wasted effort to micromanage your battery. You Mac's charging circuitry will take far better care of your battery than you can. Charge it when it needs it (never going below 50% is not being especially kind to your battery as in limiting charge to any specific value not doing it any special good), use in battery mode when you need to and enjoy your Mac.

You're way overthinking this.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 12:26 AM in response to melasang1

Yes that's normal. Battery capacity is a non linear progression; it can sit for months, even years, at a given lower capacity. 80% is where Apple advises you replace it.

It's wasted effort to micromanage your battery. You Mac's charging circuitry will take far better care of your battery than you can. Charge it when it needs it (never going below 50% is not being especially kind to your battery as in limiting charge to any specific value not doing it any special good), use in battery mode when you need to and enjoy your Mac.

You're way overthinking this.

Apr 19, 2022 5:41 AM in response to melasang1

Rechargeable batteries can lose some initial charge quickly and the last for a long time at that level before losing capacity, some will hold initial capacity for a long time and then start to lose capacity, some will start slowly losing capacity from day one, and any other possible combinations.  It is just the nature of rechargeable batteries. Micro managing your battery use will nota alter any of these facts.

FWIW, don't try to micromanage your battery and just use the Mac.  If you reach a point in time where the working time on battery is not long enough to meet your needs, then start to worry or just get the battery replaced.

M1 macbook air battery health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.