Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine restore requires Migration Assistant

I need to do a complete restore of my system. When I boot into the restore environment and choose a backup to restore from I get a message that I need to restore the OS and then use migration assistant for the rest, at least that's what I think it is telling me. I am running OSX Monterey 12.3.1 on a 2014 Mac Mini.

much thanks

john

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 7:03 AM

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Monterey would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Monterey.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 7:03 AM in response to coltrane58

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Monterey would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Monterey.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Apr 19, 2022 7:12 AM in response to PRP_53

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying. What is meant by a Qualifying computer? I guess I first have to find out if my mac mini qualifies and if it does I need to create bootable media? And if by some chance I figure out how to do that then what? Okay, did Apple replace their OS development team with microsoft developers? This is insane and should have been made clear. I am tempted to restore from a Catalina backup and be done with this Monterey craziness.

Apr 19, 2022 12:49 PM in response to tbirdvet

So if I want to revert back to Catalina I would have to create a bootable Catalina install USB? I figure if I want to go back to how everything was 5 days ago the pre-Monterey restore would get me there. Well luckily I just found how to fix the problem which put me on the path to performing a restore. BTW, If I do want to restore my account I assume I would use Migration Assistant, correct? If that's the case why is it soooooo slow. Just to calculate the sizes of what needs to be restored takes 5 minutes.

Apr 19, 2022 1:01 PM in response to tbirdvet

me again, if I have to download the OS install to create a bootable installer I am not necessarily getting the OS I want. If I applied a number of revs and the last rev caused me problems I would then like to go back to the OS just before I applied it which I could get from TM. Now, I'm at the point I am considering going back to Catalina, but the problem is, if I understand correctly, I would need a bootable usb with a Catalina install which I do not have. It sounds like you think it a good idea to the restore change. I do not see any benefits of the change. If it's not broken then make lemonade, or something like that

Apr 19, 2022 1:11 PM in response to coltrane58

You asked:

"BTW, If I do want to restore my account I assume I would use Migration Assistant, correct? If that's the case why is it soooooo slow. Just to calculate the sizes of what needs to be restored takes 5 minutes. "

How long migration takes depends upon the speed of the connection and ™ backup disk macOS disk

Yesterday as a test, I installed Monterrey on an external 2 ½" SSD in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure connected to my Studio Max. The ™ disl was also a 2 ½" SSD in a enclosure connected via USB-C. Migrating about 300GB took about 45 minutes.

Previously I migrated the same data from a NVMe drive I had in my 2013 Mac Pro connected to the Studio and migration took about 27 minutes.

TimeMachine restore requires Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.