Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password confusion/newb

Good morning,

I moved (back) to MacOS after many years of using ChromeOS. It hasn't been the smooth transition I was hoping for, but everything basically worked well enough.

I decided to upgrade to Monterey 12.3.1 yesterday. The problem is, I keep getting asked for a password I don't have, or know. I don't know what the password is for 'software update'. (Pictures attached.)

Caveats first: I know this is my responsibility, but I can't for the life of me understand what has happened. I haven't changed either my Apple ID or the password I was asked for when I set up this machine (what I call the 'computer password', don't know what the Apple term is.) The error is most likely mine, but I don't see how to fix it.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

Julian

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 7:25 AM

As mentioned in previous posting, the Original Password for the computer when it was first setup as New and is usually the defacto Admin Account of this computer.

If you can remember it

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 7:25 AM in response to jmarsano210x

As mentioned in previous posting, the Original Password for the computer when it was first setup as New and is usually the defacto Admin Account of this computer.

If you can remember it

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apr 19, 2022 8:17 AM in response to jmarsano210x

Under certain and strict condition like only One Admin Account and No FileVault on the drive - one could have Automatic Login Enabled.

Over several upGrades to newer versions of macOS - one have have become forgetful of the Admin Account password.

Starting, I think in Big Sur and for sure in Monterey, the User must input the Password before the download will commence. It will ask again before the actual Installation of Monterey will commence.

This is a New and Improved feature and behaves much like iOS does. The lines between macOS and iOS become closer and closer and more blurred IMHO.

Password confusion/newb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.