Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome Virus? Or virus on my mac, help

Popups from chrome. I deleted all extensions and cleaned my mac and deleted unwanted and suspicious apps.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 10:54 AM

Download EtreCheck: https://etrecheck.com/,run it and post the report here.

Click  “Free Download” button,    

Open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

“Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy report” .

Paste the report when you reply. This is a diagnostic test.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 10:54 AM in response to mac123__

Download EtreCheck: https://etrecheck.com/,run it and post the report here.

Click  “Free Download” button,    

Open Downloads folder, click on it to open, and then select ”Open”.

“Choose a problem” from the popup menu box, and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy report” .

Paste the report when you reply. This is a diagnostic test.

Apr 20, 2022 7:18 PM in response to mac123__

The report shows some malware is still installed on your Mac in relation to the Chrome extensions. You can try running MalwareBytes to remove the malware.

The report also shows you have CleanMyMac installed. This app is notorious on these forums for causing all sorts of issues with Macs. Uninstall CMM by following the developer's instructions. Anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, and third party security software are not needed on a Mac. These types of apps usually cause more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance. MalwareBytes is the one exception, but it only needs to be used if you suspect malware, otherwise there is no reason to even use MalwareBytes (and no reason to have it constantly running, I would uninstall it after using it -- option to uninstall is on one of the app's menus).

The report also shows the system using 9GB of Swap, so you are running out of memory with your current workflow (even though you currently have 4GB of free memory). Perhaps this is related to the malware or CMM, but if it continues after removing both, then you may need to adjust your workflow a bit by closing some apps when using apps which require a lot of memory. Using GBs of Swap will slow the system down even when using an SSD.

You haven't rebooted the Mac in 47 days, so you may want to reboot it as it can help clear up temp & cache files as well as clear out some memory as well especially if you don't have macOS reopen apps automatically after a reboot.

You are also a bit out of date on macOS, so you should install the latest macOS updates as well.

Google Chrome Virus? Or virus on my mac, help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.