Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TLB invalidation IPI timeout on El Capitan

Hi,

I'm the technically-minded household member in the equation, but I'm a Windows user, not an Apple user. Nevertheless, my housemate tasked me with doing what I could to get her deprecated iMac functioning again. I need some help with diagnosis, please.

History: Her Internet was, "not working," and I sat down and diagnosed the problem as tied to the root certificate expiration in Sept 2021, which was not fixed automatically since El Capitan was at that time no longer supported. I fixed this problem by downloading and manually trusting a new certificate from letsencrypt.org. A day later, her iMac crashed with an error report (below). Of course she thinks it's related, but I'm not quite so sure -- I don't, though, really know how to read the error log with a reasonable degree of confidence.

Any ideas would much be appreciated. Thanks.

iMac Pro

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 3:16 PM

The TLB (Translation Look-aside Buffer) is the heart and soul of any computer's virtual memory system. It is CPU chip hardware. The same hardware that Windows would be using for virtual memory, as well as Linux, Solaris, etc...

The TLB is very fast specialized memory that allows the CPU to hand it a virtual memory address, and the TLB will either tell the hardware memory fetching code the physical page of memory associated with that virtual memory. We are talking 1 clock cycle fast. If the TLB does not have the virtual to physical translation, then a soft page fault occurs, and the operating system gets to use lots of instructions to find the physical page associated with the virtual address, and then load that information into the TLB (and in the process ejecting some other TLB entry). Then the instruction is re-issued, and the TLB will now have the translation.

That is the TLB high level description.

Now why you got a panic, I am fairly sure it has zero to do with your new certificate. It is more likely a hardware failure. If this is happening a lot, then I would look at running the hardware Diagnostics

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2022 3:16 PM in response to elleless

The TLB (Translation Look-aside Buffer) is the heart and soul of any computer's virtual memory system. It is CPU chip hardware. The same hardware that Windows would be using for virtual memory, as well as Linux, Solaris, etc...

The TLB is very fast specialized memory that allows the CPU to hand it a virtual memory address, and the TLB will either tell the hardware memory fetching code the physical page of memory associated with that virtual memory. We are talking 1 clock cycle fast. If the TLB does not have the virtual to physical translation, then a soft page fault occurs, and the operating system gets to use lots of instructions to find the physical page associated with the virtual address, and then load that information into the TLB (and in the process ejecting some other TLB entry). Then the instruction is re-issued, and the TLB will now have the translation.

That is the TLB high level description.

Now why you got a panic, I am fairly sure it has zero to do with your new certificate. It is more likely a hardware failure. If this is happening a lot, then I would look at running the hardware Diagnostics

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

TLB invalidation IPI timeout on El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.