Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best way to backup my iMac

best way to back up my iMac

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 20, 2022 9:33 AM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2022 10:27 AM in response to anne1954

Welcome to Apple Support Community.

To start a backup, you need an external hard drive. Here’s a few excellent ones sold by Apple: 

If you have an iMac (Late 2015) or earlier, or a Mac mini (Late 2014) or earlier, you will also need this cable

You can then follow the steps in this Apple Support article to setup your Time Machine backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Also, moving forward, I recommend that you use iCloud in addition to Time Machine to sync all your files and photos to all your Apple devices. Although iCloud is not a "true" backup service, iCloud can also act as an emergency off-site backup, but this is why iCloud should be used in addition to Time Machine. Here are some resources on setting up iCloud for Mac:

After you setup iCloud, turn off "Optimize Mac Storage" in System Preferences > Apple ID/iCloud. That way, all changes made to files in iCloud are also backed up to Time Machine. If you have this setting on due to a limited amount of storage on your Mac, that is fine. Just know changes won't be backed up to Time Machine, only iCloud.

Jack

Apr 20, 2022 12:11 PM in response to anne1954

I also use the Mercury Elite Pros for our iMacs. They use reliable 3.5-inch drives and have an independent power supply, something lacking in most "mobile" or "portable" drives that have to get all power from a USB port on the computer.

Portability is not really an issue for most iMac owners; reliability is. Over the last ~20 years I've never had a 3.5-inch drive fail, but had three 2.5-inch drives appear to simply wear out.

I buy the empty OWC enclosures and install SATA 6GB, 7200 RPM WD "Black" series drives. Very fast and no issues.

I have two of those on my "critical-needs" iMac. One does Time Machine backups and the other makes daily bootable clones with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). It was the CCC drive that saved 100% of my work when my old iMac died.

best way to backup my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.