Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook doesn't remember external display layout

Hi

I have a MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021, M1 Pro).

At work I plug two Samsung monitors of the same model into my MacBook. One via HDMI-HDMI cable and one via USB-C-HDMI cable (HDMI at the monitors end).

Sadly my MacBook doesn't always remember the screen layout I have set in the system preferences under displays. The two displays switch places sometimes in system preferences. Suddenly the left display is the main display instead of the right one and the wrong display edge is used to move the mouse between screens. This happens about 50% of the times I plug the displays in, reboot the MacBook or wake the MacBook from sleep.

Before I got this 2021 MacBook Pro I had a 2013 MacBook Pro with the same displays (used HDMI and Mini DisplayPort to plug them in tho) and never had this issue.

Does anybody have an idea how to resolve this? Is this a macOS bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 8:24 AM

Hello MarcHatePage,

We understand that your Mac isn't remembering the display arrangements as expected. If you go to Apple > System Preferences > Mission Control, what does it show for "Automatically rearrange spaces" and "Displays have separate spaces"?

Try adjusting those settings and see if the display arrangement remains as you want them.

Thanks!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2022 8:24 AM in response to MarcHatePage

Hello MarcHatePage,

We understand that your Mac isn't remembering the display arrangements as expected. If you go to Apple > System Preferences > Mission Control, what does it show for "Automatically rearrange spaces" and "Displays have separate spaces"?

Try adjusting those settings and see if the display arrangement remains as you want them.

Thanks!

MacBook doesn't remember external display layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.