Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transitions in iMovie

When I add transitions (e.g. Wipe Left or Cross Dissolve) between clips in iMovie's time line, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, the transition works like a cut despite the duration of the Wipe or Dissolve being set at, say, 2 seconds. (The clips on either side of the desired transition are longer than the transition duration.)

For example, I have a series of clips representing different pages of a journal. I want to use Wipe Left at three points to give the feeling of turning the page to the next page. But only one of the tree Wipe Left transitions functions as a Wipe Left. The other two function as a cut.

I have, btw, deselected Automatic Content in Settings.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 9:48 AM

I wasn't able to replicate your situation in my older iterartion of iMovie 10. I placed a series of photos in the timeline with durations varying from 1.0 second to 4.0 seconds. Then I inserted a 2.0 second wipe left transition between all photos. The transitions played as they should.

Sometimes when iMovie acts in an unexpected manner it is because of a preference issue. Try deleting (resetting) the iMovie preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If deleting preferences does not cure it, try creating a new project and see if the transitions work properly there.

-- Rich

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2022 9:48 AM in response to Free_and_clear

I wasn't able to replicate your situation in my older iterartion of iMovie 10. I placed a series of photos in the timeline with durations varying from 1.0 second to 4.0 seconds. Then I inserted a 2.0 second wipe left transition between all photos. The transitions played as they should.

Sometimes when iMovie acts in an unexpected manner it is because of a preference issue. Try deleting (resetting) the iMovie preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If deleting preferences does not cure it, try creating a new project and see if the transitions work properly there.

-- Rich

Apr 23, 2022 12:43 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks, again, Rich, for your suggestions. I tried both fixes, but neither of them worked for me I'm afraid.

(Btw, being new to this forum, I clicked on the "This solved the issue" button, thinking foolishly that I would get more options, which of course I didn't. So my issue got mistakenly labeled "Solved," and, alas, I wasn't able to find a way to fix that either!)

Scott

Apr 23, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Free_and_clear

At the places where the problem is happening, are the clips photos or are they videos?

You might try redownloading iMovie. To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications

folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. ( You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Transitions in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.