Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Water Lock optional when going swimming?

I just got an Apple Watch SE and wondering if it needs water lock to be submerged

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 8

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 9:33 AM

About Apple Watch water resistance

5 replies

Apr 22, 2022 5:19 PM in response to Peter543

The water lock disables the touch screen and the side buttons so that you do not accidentally "Butt Dial" or activate other Apple Watch features due to water splashing on the Apple Watch.

The water lock does NOT add any extra water protection.

If you are washing your hands and you get your Apple Watch wet, that is not an issue if it it just clean water. You should avoid soaps and lotions getting on your Apple Watch as you can damage the water protection seals.

May 3, 2022 5:39 PM in response to Peter543

The answer in a nutshell is if you start a swimming workout the screen is locked. I suppose water lock turns on in theory too. Having said that - I just had my second Apple watch - an SE - fall apart during a swim. Screen came unglued. My previous watch, a Series 3, was a few years old so I thought it had just lost water resistance over time. The SE had not been for a swim in over a year. I am not sure now whether to get a different device completely or just one for swimming. Either way, not swimming with an Apple Watch again.

Is Water Lock optional when going swimming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.