Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iCloud with iMac - saving documents?

Using iCloud with iMac, should I save documents to my iMac or to iCloud? There is usually an option.

I've been saving to iCloud for years, but recently started having instances of archive getting in the loop and messing me up. I think Apple advisor said that was caused by saving to iCloud.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 8:53 PM

Saving documents to iCloud when Mac is not synced ( signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network ) with other devices iPhone / iPad Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support is more safe than moving documents to some other locations Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support in a scenario when iCloud storage data is always in limits Check your iCloud storage on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Moving some documents to other location is an option when iCloud data is slightly increasing , and you want that data to be reduced , but if Macintosh HD data is already preoccupied than if you move that iCloud data in it , the hard drive data will increase substantially .

To neutralise it always keep hard drive data in limits see a thread Cloud and Hard Drive - Apple Community

And articles See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Get system information for your Mac - Apple Support

When Mac and other devices are synced , if iCloud data is deleted from iCloud.com / or iPhone / Mac / iPad it deletes from everywhere that's the reason archiving is better option , so that precious iCloud data is not lost Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2022 8:53 PM in response to F.Dude

Saving documents to iCloud when Mac is not synced ( signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network ) with other devices iPhone / iPad Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support is more safe than moving documents to some other locations Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support in a scenario when iCloud storage data is always in limits Check your iCloud storage on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Moving some documents to other location is an option when iCloud data is slightly increasing , and you want that data to be reduced , but if Macintosh HD data is already preoccupied than if you move that iCloud data in it , the hard drive data will increase substantially .

To neutralise it always keep hard drive data in limits see a thread Cloud and Hard Drive - Apple Community

And articles See used and available storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Get system information for your Mac - Apple Support

When Mac and other devices are synced , if iCloud data is deleted from iCloud.com / or iPhone / Mac / iPad it deletes from everywhere that's the reason archiving is better option , so that precious iCloud data is not lost Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices - Apple Support

Using iCloud with iMac - saving documents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.