Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro M1 Pro losing usb devices constantly

I'm losing my mind with my new M1 MBP. I also have the new Apple Studio monitor to go with it. I keep losing my usb devices and even my wireless magic mouse randomly stopped working last night. Re-boot doesn't even seem to always get everything going. One thing comes back and another goes down. SSD drives randomly disconnect. My Wacom tablet has disappeared more times than I can count and has on several occasions been very difficult to get it to come back. The 3 extra USB ports on the back of the monitor crap out constantly, but even the front left usb connection on the laptop itself has gone dead on several occasions. The whole reason for this switch was my less than 3 year old $5K imac pro overheats and my tablet gets completely sluggish. This is not better, and for someone who has used Apple products for over 30 years - this is really unacceptable. I see lots of complaints, but no answers.

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 11:15 AM

I had the USB ports on the back of the Studio Display fail even when it was just the tablet and keyboard. I got a Thunderbolt 4 dock which has most things plugged into it now...been solid since. I do have the keyboard and audiobox usb device plugged into the Studio monitor, but no drives and no wacom tablet which seemed to blow the ports on the monitor.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2022 11:15 AM in response to starfool

I had the USB ports on the back of the Studio Display fail even when it was just the tablet and keyboard. I got a Thunderbolt 4 dock which has most things plugged into it now...been solid since. I do have the keyboard and audiobox usb device plugged into the Studio monitor, but no drives and no wacom tablet which seemed to blow the ports on the monitor.

Apr 23, 2022 1:09 PM in response to NYSubway18

Hey there NYSubway18,

Being able to rely on your wired/wireless devices to stay connected is important for us too, and we'd like to help however we can.

Seeing as both your Mac and display have connection issues with their ports, this points to the Mac as having the issue since the monitor relies on the connection to your Mac.

As you're having two separate issues, let's begin with your wireless mouse first. You mentioned that it disconnects randomly, but do other Bluetooth devices also have this same issue?

Since you have a compatible Mac model, the latest version is macOS 12.3.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. This link will show how to first back up, then Update macOS on Mac.

Cheers!

Apr 25, 2022 11:47 AM in response to NYSubway18

Thanks for getting back to us with that information, NYSubway18. It's appreciated.

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support -- For the wireless keyboard and mouse we recommend checking for interference, especially since this doesn't happen regularly.

If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support -- Regarding the USB devices you're using with your MacBook Pro, this page of the macOS User Guide provides helpful information and steps.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support -- If you're still having a problem using your USB devices, restart your Mac in safe mode and see if they stay connected. Please refer to this article before beginning: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode - Apple Support

You’ll want to follow the steps under "Apple silicon”. After you've had time to test, restart your Mac normally to exit safe mode.

If your USB devices worked as expected while your Mac was in safe mode, test the issue again.

Please let us know the results when you're able by replying to this post.

All the best.

Apr 25, 2022 11:22 AM in response to bruno75

I've only had the wireless mouse go down a couple times...it's an Apple magic Mouse. I've also lost the wireless keyboard a couple times. I am fully updated to 12.3.1 - Clearly there is an issue with the USB busses. I realize I may push the limits a little with number of drives, wacom tablet, keyboard, mouse and monitor... but this is absurd. I've had it down to 2 SSD drives, the Apple Studio monitor, Wacom tablet, mouse and keyboard and lost the Wacom tablet. That's really bad. I'm ordering a Thunderbolt 4 dock that seems to be of help to many having the same problem - but this is really crazy that this M1 machine is so seemingly underpowered or whatever is causing the problem - that it can't handle a couple things plugged into the hub built into the Apple Studio Monitor without failing pretty regularly.

MacBookPro M1 Pro losing usb devices constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.