Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac downgraded to mountain lion

Hi im a mac user and i got myself into a bit of a situation

I erased my mac through disk utility and i restarted my mac and there was no Startup disk and so i went to recovery mode and i see that recoverey mode booted in Macos Mountain Lion

please help

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 7:35 AM

2 replies

Apr 28, 2022 10:18 AM in response to SanjidRaiyan

Sometimes Internet Recovery Mode will only boot into the OS which originally shipped with the Mac from the factory (it is annoying). If this happens, then just install Mountain Lion, then make sure Mountain Lion is fully patched & up to date so that you can download a macOS installer for a more recent version of macOS which is compatible with your Mac. You can find links to various macOS installers within this Apple article which also includes optional instructions to create a bootable macOS USB installer):

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You can check which versions of macOS are compatible with various Apple hardware by using this article:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

FYI, after erasing the drive the first time, you should have quit Disk Utility, then selected the "Reinstall macOS" option instead of rebooting.

Mac downgraded to mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.