Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Universal Control Connection Issue

Hi!

I've been trying to use Universal Control on my iPad and Macbook, but it kept disconnecting and connecting. Eventually, I noticed that when I'm not using my Macbook for a few seconds it would disconnect and not let me connect back until I have used my Macbook for some time.

Is there something I can do to fix it now, or do I have to wait for an update?

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 12:05 PM

For SSimon2007,

Definitely check all the requirements in Apple's Support article:

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad

... keeping in mind that there's essentially no flexibility in those requirements. Especially having to be logged in with the same Apple iCloud ID on both systems (not a "Managed ID"). And that Handoff is explicitly enabled on both the Mac and iPad.

Be sure to check all three of the Universal Control checkboxes on the Mac, including "Automatically reconnect .."

If you still have a problem after that, your problem sounds like a problem I had with Universal Control that went away after I made sure that (in Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall -> Firewall Options on my Mac) wasn't Blocking incoming connections from both:

rapportd

Universal Control.app

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2022 12:05 PM in response to leroydouglas

For SSimon2007,

Definitely check all the requirements in Apple's Support article:

... keeping in mind that there's essentially no flexibility in those requirements. Especially having to be logged in with the same Apple iCloud ID on both systems (not a "Managed ID"). And that Handoff is explicitly enabled on both the Mac and iPad.

Be sure to check all three of the Universal Control checkboxes on the Mac, including "Automatically reconnect .."

If you still have a problem after that, your problem sounds like a problem I had with Universal Control that went away after I made sure that (in Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall -> Firewall Options on my Mac) wasn't Blocking incoming connections from both:

rapportd

Universal Control.app

Apr 24, 2022 9:50 AM in response to SSimon2007

SSimon2007 wrote:

Hi!

I've been trying to use Universal Control on my iPad and Macbook, but it kept disconnecting and connecting. Eventually, I noticed that when I'm not using my Macbook for a few seconds it would disconnect and not let me connect back until I have used my Macbook for some time.

Is there something I can do to fix it now, or do I have to wait for an update?

Se if there is anything here:

Universal Control Connection Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.