Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting default Mail app problem

Hey, I recently changed to Gmail and I wanted to delete the default Mail app. I tried to do it through the home-screen, and it disappeared. (It’s also not in my App Library.) But later, I was looking in my storage and I saw that Mail was still taking up 3.1 Gb of my storage. It has the ‘download from cloud’ symbol next to it, even after hitting delete multiple times. When I hit delete, it disappears for not even a second, it then reappears in the same spot. I have never had this problem before when deleting an app. I also tried removing it from my iCloud backups; that didn’t help. Please help!

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 8:16 PM

"Deleting default Mail app problem: Hey, I recently changed to Gmail and I wanted to delete the default Mail app. I tried to do it through the home-screen, and it disappeared. (It’s also not in my App Library.) But later, I was looking in my storage and I saw that Mail was still taking up 3.1 Gb of my storage. [...]"

Troubleshooting iPhone Mail:

A. Install a Cellular Update:

It might be prompting you for a cellular update to install. So, go here for that. Update your carrier settings manually on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Also...

B. "No Service":

"No Service" is shown on the top-left corner of your screen. So, go here to fix that: If you See No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Also...

C. Charge your iPhone:

Looking at the top-left corner of your screenshot, the battery is at 11%. So, charge this to full, then perform the troubleshooting. Doing so, you will avoid loss of unsaved data.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2022 8:16 PM in response to Zapper_

"Deleting default Mail app problem: Hey, I recently changed to Gmail and I wanted to delete the default Mail app. I tried to do it through the home-screen, and it disappeared. (It’s also not in my App Library.) But later, I was looking in my storage and I saw that Mail was still taking up 3.1 Gb of my storage. [...]"

Troubleshooting iPhone Mail:

A. Install a Cellular Update:

It might be prompting you for a cellular update to install. So, go here for that. Update your carrier settings manually on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Also...

B. "No Service":

"No Service" is shown on the top-left corner of your screen. So, go here to fix that: If you See No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Also...

C. Charge your iPhone:

Looking at the top-left corner of your screenshot, the battery is at 11%. So, charge this to full, then perform the troubleshooting. Doing so, you will avoid loss of unsaved data.

Apr 23, 2022 9:15 PM in response to Zapper_

Zapper_ Said:

"Deleting default Mail app problem: Hello. Thank you for your reply! But sadly this is not currently being used as a cellular device. So the responses you gave I don’t think will help me. I appreciate the reply, but I don’t think that it will help me that much seeing as I am without a sim card."

-------

You are welcome.

"No Service":

"No Service" is shown*** on the top-left corner of your screen. So, contact your carrier, asking them for a SIM card. All should be good form there.

***Screenshot:

Deleting default Mail app problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.