Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing box stays checked - Catalina 10.15.6

I can turn off all the sharing services (Systems Preferences>Sharing) EXCEPT Screen Sharing. I click on the box, but the box stays checked. How do I turn it off?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 2:44 PM

Allowed to deselect Screen Sharing while in Safe Mode.

But when I open Systems Prefs and then enter Time Machine, System Prefs disappears from screen and is no longer visible in Applications folder. Can't seem to navigate to Systems Prefs while in Time Machine.

I'm in Safe Mode now. I'm wondering if Screen Sharing will remain unchecked when I restart in Normal mode.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 2:44 PM in response to Jmanna13

Allowed to deselect Screen Sharing while in Safe Mode.

But when I open Systems Prefs and then enter Time Machine, System Prefs disappears from screen and is no longer visible in Applications folder. Can't seem to navigate to Systems Prefs while in Time Machine.

I'm in Safe Mode now. I'm wondering if Screen Sharing will remain unchecked when I restart in Normal mode.

Apr 25, 2022 10:12 AM in response to RSpeilman

Hello RSpeilman,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

This Apple Support page has the full details to Turn Mac screen sharing on or off - Apple Support

If the feature still won't turn off, does a normal restart of your Mac have any impact on the issue?

Do you have any other screen sharing or security software installed?

Are you an Admin user on the Mac?

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Apr 25, 2022 12:16 PM in response to RSpeilman

Hi RSpeilman,

You're correct, options in third-party apps are different.

Is this a personal Mac or one issued by your employer or school?

It's possible you have MDM (Mobile Device Management) enabled and are unable to make changes. You can read about MDM here: Intro to mobile device management and here: Use MDM to enable Remote Management in macOS

If this is a personal device, confirm if you are using the admin account and allowed to make changes. You can also test in a new user account.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Keep us posted on the details for what you find, or the results from testing if your account level allows.

Best.

Apr 25, 2022 1:44 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

Yes, my personal device. Confirmed admin account. Created new user account with admin permission granted, same problem with screen sharing. Checked by default, can't be unchecked.

Can I use Time Machine to see what system prefs were in place like a week or a day ago?

I downloaded some Microsoft365 apps for Mac from legit Microsoft site yesterday, and also subscribed to a new calendar in iCal which I don't seem to be able to remove. (Unsubscribing doesn't work. It doesn't show up on my Calendar menu but the events are still visible. Trying to delete events brings up "You can't change items in calendars you subscribe to.")

Maybe one of these caused the problem?

Screen Sharing box stays checked - Catalina 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.