Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

buying a new computer

Guidance please... is there a reference available somewhere.... I'm ordering using one of my Apple ID from Apple. The app store I use a different Apple ID (long story). When it comes time to set up the new computer, what should I watch for to ensure my old 64bit software will be updatable on the new computer? Like Final cut pro which on my old computer no longer updates because the HiSierra is the max for the computer, but I suppose I can re-download from the app store where it was purchased.

Preferable a reference that can walk me thru moving to a new computer coming with Monterey is welcomed and I'm in part concerned how multiple Apple ID's need to be used in the right place and not lock myself out of updates. Would Apple allow my app store purchases be consolidated under one user ID? Stuff on my old computer I no longer know what it is I do not want to bring over either.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2022 7:40 PM

You need to use the Apple ID you have been using for the App Store on the new computer to retain access to your previous purchases. You can try setting up Family Sharing between the IDs if you want to be able to share purchases made with the IDs. If you can set up Family Sharing, you can consolidate under one Apple ID.

Family Sharing.   *

ASC YouTube for Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up.  *

The stuff on your computer that you know longer know what it is needs to be deleted before transferring your data to the new computer.

Transfer data from your old Mac to your new Mac using Migration Assistant 

ASC YouTube for how to transfer data from your old Mac to a new Mac using Migration Assistant | Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2022 7:40 PM in response to Charles Palenz

You need to use the Apple ID you have been using for the App Store on the new computer to retain access to your previous purchases. You can try setting up Family Sharing between the IDs if you want to be able to share purchases made with the IDs. If you can set up Family Sharing, you can consolidate under one Apple ID.

Family Sharing.   *

ASC YouTube for Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up.  *

The stuff on your computer that you know longer know what it is needs to be deleted before transferring your data to the new computer.

Transfer data from your old Mac to your new Mac using Migration Assistant 

ASC YouTube for how to transfer data from your old Mac to a new Mac using Migration Assistant | Apple Support

Apr 25, 2022 6:26 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you, very helpful and solved and so acknowledged. My 12 year old iMac does not give me family support share option, so I accomplished from my iPhone 12. In recent years I have been using my Apple iCloud id for registration and another email for the app store which was also used for the old iMac registration. The new computer will have one preinstall and after ordering, the realization came that probably now I will have two IDs at the app store once delivered and wondered how the updates might work. So hopefully the family sharing will solve.

thank you for your comprehensive and complete response.

buying a new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.