Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Configuration Profile Wants to Make Changes" -- malware?

I keep getting random pop-ups saying "Configuration Profile Wants to Make Changes" that ask for my password. A scam? I found instructions on how to deal with it when the pop-up says it's Apple that wants to make changes, rather than "configuration profile," but it sounded similar and the instructions said it was indeed a scam. One piece of advice was to see if there were any "profiles" on my Systems Preferences panel, and if there were, to delete them. Sure enough, I have one, from Xfinity Wifi. But when I try to delete the profile by clicking the "minus" sign, it refuses. Instead, the VERY SAME SUSPICIOUS POP-UP pops up, asking for my password again! I'm unwilling to share my password with this strange little pop-up. Am I being paranoid? Is there any other way of removing the "profile"?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 9:17 AM

I'm unwilling to share my password with this strange little pop-up. Am I being paranoid?

No. Your concern is justified.

A Profile confers broad ability for someone other than you to control your Mac. I can think of no reason an ISP would require one.

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 26, 2022 8:38 AM in response to sciwrite

Hello sciwrite,

If Xfinity is your network provider, this could be a profile provided by them.

Configuration profiles let you standardize settings for Mac computers. For example, an administrator can set up profiles that configure Mac computers to interact with servers on a school or workplace network.
A configuration profile can contain settings for a user’s Mail account, Wi-Fi settings, VPN settings, and more. Configuration profiles can work on Mac computers, iOS and iPadOS devices, Apple Watch, and Apple TV.

To help remove the configuration profile, follow the steps from the article Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers - Apple Support

Best Regards.

"Configuration Profile Wants to Make Changes" -- malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.