Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contact Names keep changing

Why does the name for some of my contacts change to another name in my contacts on its own?

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 2:23 PM

So I have multiple accounts that manage contacts.

icloud (Contacts that came from my phone over time)

outlook

att.net (yahoo)

gmail

Some of my iCloud contacts names in the messaging/text app or replaced with names from my Outlook account. When I restart the phone the names reset in the messaging app. Then later the names get changed back to what they were changed to. So whenever they change they always change back to the same incorrect names. And it’s only in the messaging app.

for example I have a son named Addison and his name repeatedly gets changed to a coworker named Jeff until I restart my phone then it goes back to Addison and then sometime later it gets changed to Jeff then I have to restart my phone again.

it started happening after one of the more recent operating system updates on my iPhone. Two or three updates ago.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 2:23 PM in response to Soosie_J215

So I have multiple accounts that manage contacts.

icloud (Contacts that came from my phone over time)

outlook

att.net (yahoo)

gmail

Some of my iCloud contacts names in the messaging/text app or replaced with names from my Outlook account. When I restart the phone the names reset in the messaging app. Then later the names get changed back to what they were changed to. So whenever they change they always change back to the same incorrect names. And it’s only in the messaging app.

for example I have a son named Addison and his name repeatedly gets changed to a coworker named Jeff until I restart my phone then it goes back to Addison and then sometime later it gets changed to Jeff then I have to restart my phone again.

it started happening after one of the more recent operating system updates on my iPhone. Two or three updates ago.

Apr 26, 2022 10:56 AM in response to Tbarreras

Greetings to you Tbarreras,

This guide might be of help: Use other contact accounts on iPhone. We'd want you to pay attention to this section:

"Keep contacts up to date across devices
To keep your contact information up to date across all your devices where you’re signed in with the same Apple ID, you can use iCloud.

Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, then turn on Contacts.

Alternatively, you can sync the information between iPhone and your Mac or Windows PC to keep the information up to date across iPhone and your computer. See Sync iPhone with your computer.
If you use iCloud for Contacts, your contacts are kept up to date automatically, and no options appear for syncing them with your computer."

If you're using iCloud for Contacts and make any changes on 1 device, it would automatically be updated.

If it doesn't help we need more information from you to narrow down why this is happening.

1.How do you sync your Contacts?

2.Which accounts do you use with Contacts? You can find this by going to Settings > Contacts.

3.If you're using more than 1 account, have you been able to narrow it down to the specific account?

We're asking to get more information so our community can work together to find out what might be the issue.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

All the best.

Apr 26, 2022 1:36 PM in response to Tbarreras

Thanks for reply back, Tbarreras.

You mentioned that your Contacts are synced through iCloud. Were your Contacts created only through your iCloud account? Or were they created with any other account type, then synced later?

Do you use more than one Apple device that's signed in with the same Apple ID or has your Contacts synced through iCloud?

Does this happen with all Contacts or just certain ones?

Thanks for working through this with us.

Contact Names keep changing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.