Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have clips on the timeline, how can i save the each clip as individual movies?

So I have copied a copious amount of old home movies to disk. Most of them have several different events on them. I have figured out how to import a single movie and break it down into individual clips in the timeline. I want to save each clip as a separate, small movie. I don't see any way to do that with iMovie. Anyone know of other software that might do this?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 8:41 AM

Thanks Rich. That does work, even if it is a lot of steps that could easily be a simple right click on selected clip and save to file. The annoying part is you have to save the project and then delete it. My goal is to simple have a folder of saved clips to then create movies. Apple programmers are making this harder than it needs to be. IMHO

Thanks for the work around.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 8:41 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich. That does work, even if it is a lot of steps that could easily be a simple right click on selected clip and save to file. The annoying part is you have to save the project and then delete it. My goal is to simple have a folder of saved clips to then create movies. Apple programmers are making this harder than it needs to be. IMHO

Thanks for the work around.

Apr 25, 2022 2:14 PM in response to samrog777

You are correct that one cannot save individual clips from a group of clips.

However, the way that it is done is to select the clip in the timeline and do and Edit/Copy. Then open a newly created empty project and Edit/Paste the clip into the timeline of the new project. Your edits will carry over. You can use the new project as an archive, or share out (export) the project to a standalone movie consisting of one clip. You can import the exported movie back into an iMovie project or event if you want.

-- Rich

Apr 26, 2022 9:33 AM in response to samrog777

Copying the split segment of the clip to a new project, and then exporting out from that project, would be the only way to preserve any edits (i.e, your split) that you have made. In the old iMovie 6 one could select a segment in the timeline and share it out separately from the rest of the clips in the project. Unfortunately that helpful feature was eliminated in later versions of iMovie.

As a matter of work flow, you wouldn't need to delete the new project and create a new one each time. You can export a project as many times as you want. So, put segment #1 into the new project, export it out, and then delete segment #1 from the new project and import Segment #2 and export segment #2 out. Repeat the process with segments #3, #4, etc. until all of your segments in the master project have been separately saved. Once they are saved you can keep them in a finder folder for later use (recommended) and/or import the clip segments into a newly created iMovie event for access by all of your projects. Keeping them stored in the Finder and in iMovie as well, would double the drive space being used. However, if you are going to store the clips in one place, in my view it would be better to store them in a finder folder where they can be readily accessed for different purposes and not be trapped in an application that might get corrupted or become obsolete. If the one place that you store your clips is in the iMovie app, be aware that iMovie libraies sometimes do get corrupted. Also, it can be awkward to retrieve clips for use outside of iMovie.

-- Rich

I have clips on the timeline, how can i save the each clip as individual movies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.