Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and save video clips as separate files

Hello, I am using iMovies and would like to know how to copy and save video clips into different files. I have a home movie of over 1 hr. I simply would like to extract several clips and share them with others, without having to share the whole video. I would have thought that this function would be easy to do with iMovies. I have tried several suggestions but none seem to work. I would really appreciate someone's help on this. Thank you in advance

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 7:58 AM

Hi, Rikki,

You are following the correct procedure. Your export options (format, resolution, quality, compression, etc) appear on the first screen that pops up after you click on File.

When you first start exporting a project as a movie file iMovie will deposit a temporary file on your desktop to assist with the exporting. The temporary file has zero bytes in it and cannot be opened. It will remain on your desktop until the export is completed, and then will disappear and be replaced by a fully playable exported file. You should wait until the export is completed before closing iMovie. Sometimes the temporary file will remain on the desktop for a few seconds before disappearing.

If the above does not solve it, try deleting preferences, as that procedure often cures export problems. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now try exporting again. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2021 7:58 AM in response to Rikki18

Hi, Rikki,

You are following the correct procedure. Your export options (format, resolution, quality, compression, etc) appear on the first screen that pops up after you click on File.

When you first start exporting a project as a movie file iMovie will deposit a temporary file on your desktop to assist with the exporting. The temporary file has zero bytes in it and cannot be opened. It will remain on your desktop until the export is completed, and then will disappear and be replaced by a fully playable exported file. You should wait until the export is completed before closing iMovie. Sometimes the temporary file will remain on the desktop for a few seconds before disappearing.

If the above does not solve it, try deleting preferences, as that procedure often cures export problems. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now try exporting again. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Apr 8, 2021 4:08 AM in response to Rikki18

What have you already tried, and how did it fail?

I would simply add the long video to the time line, then cut out a section you want to share, and use "Share > Export File" to save the shorter file in a folder.

Repeat this for all clips you want to share. Then share the exported clips by Mail or any way your want.

Apr 8, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Rikki18

When you say "files" I assume that you want to copy and save selected clips from one large iMovie project into different iMovie projects to share with others.

It is very easy to do. Create a new project that you want to share out. Then go back to your old project and select a clip in the timeline by clicking on it. Do an Edit/Copy of the selected clip. Then open your newly created project and do an Edit/Paste of the clip into the timeline. Your edits will carry over.

You can copy and paste the clips one at a time, or select a range of clips by selecting the first clip and then shift-selecting the last clip in the range.

If you don't want your edits to carry over, then instead of selecting the clip in the timeline select the clip in the Project Media browser view (that displays when you click on your project's name under the heading Project Media at the top of the the media sidebar). The clips in the Project Media browser are unedited and can be copied and pasted as unedited clips into a new project. The clips can also be dragged into one or more Events for use in several projects.

-- Rich

Apr 10, 2021 3:16 AM in response to Rich839

Dear Rich

You have been really helpful and I appreciate it. I have been able to successfully save a clip to a new project as you instructed me .

However, my next challenge is how do I export the "clip" in order to share it with my family. I have tried the following.

Click on File > Share > File > Next > Save

I followed these instructions from various online sources. ( Please note that when I click on share there is no "export" option.)

I can immediately see the m4p file on my desktop. However when I close iMovies these files disappear instantly. I tried leaving IMovies open and attaching the file to a self addressed email....but no luck , that doesn't work and I get a message that the file contains 0 bytes.

Wow, I am totally stuck again. Hopefully your knowledge of iMovies can help me out once again. Cheers. Rikk

Copy and save video clips as separate files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.