Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to watch rented AppleTV film on MacBook Air

Hi, I've used AppleTV to rent films before with no problem. However latest rental won't play on my MacBook Air, I get error message: This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)

The only change I can think of is that a couple of weeks ago I watched a rented film on my Samsung TV with a cable from the MacBook. Is there a setting I need to reset or something else?

45 mins on chat support got nowhere.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 3:20 PM

If you display on the built-in screen, then HDCP shouldn’t be an issue, if the electronics are untouched.

If you display on an external monitor or TV, then use an adapter and monitor that support HDCP.

Possibly external devices to the Mac can cause issues that might be perceived as invalidating HDCP. Try disconnecting non-essential peripherals.

Else the error message itself may be in error. Unless someone else chimes in with a good idea, I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 3:20 PM in response to WDP210

If you display on the built-in screen, then HDCP shouldn’t be an issue, if the electronics are untouched.

If you display on an external monitor or TV, then use an adapter and monitor that support HDCP.

Possibly external devices to the Mac can cause issues that might be perceived as invalidating HDCP. Try disconnecting non-essential peripherals.

Else the error message itself may be in error. Unless someone else chimes in with a good idea, I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Unable to watch rented AppleTV film on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.