Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPHONE 13 PRO Two Photos IMG and IMG E

Hello

Why does my iPHONE 13 PRO (latest IOS) have two files of the same photo? I don't edit, I turned off HDR and I get two photos of the same. IMG_####.jpg and an IMG_E####.jpg.

I do not edit any of the photos on the iPHONE. I use IMAGE CAPTURE to transfer to my MAC BOOK PRO Monterey (M1X chip).

Thanks,

Art

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 11:41 AM

Hello, Thanks for the reply.

It happens on every photo. If I take 200 Pictures from the iPhone 13 Pro, I will see 200 Photos in my photo app on the iPhone. When I transfer these photos to my MAC BOOK PRO M1X, I see 400 Photos plus 200 AAE file types (Metadata) . The first 200 will be named as follows: IMG_####.jpg the 2nd 200 will be named: IMG_E####.jpg and then the third batch of 200 will be IMG_####. AAE

It's not about one or two and I don't edit these photos on the iPHONE.

THanks,

Art

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 11:41 AM in response to danakayw

Hello, Thanks for the reply.

It happens on every photo. If I take 200 Pictures from the iPhone 13 Pro, I will see 200 Photos in my photo app on the iPhone. When I transfer these photos to my MAC BOOK PRO M1X, I see 400 Photos plus 200 AAE file types (Metadata) . The first 200 will be named as follows: IMG_####.jpg the 2nd 200 will be named: IMG_E####.jpg and then the third batch of 200 will be IMG_####. AAE

It's not about one or two and I don't edit these photos on the iPHONE.

THanks,

Art

Apr 27, 2022 7:39 PM in response to elcpu

Wow - Thank you .... But I am using original and still get the IMG_E....

I realize Image Capture is an APPLE Product after doing more research and yes, the support lady was incorrect.

I also realize there is a setting that is making multiple photos and keeping two copied.

You got me thinking, I didn't see the ^ on the camera app. When I clicked Original, I still got E dups, however if I change to 4:3 aspect ratio, the E file stopped. Looks like 16:9 creates two, one 4:3 and the other 16:9.

Thank you Thank you for all your help!

Art

Apr 27, 2022 4:37 PM in response to artmat55

Open your Camera App > click on the ^ at top center > swipe to the left on the menu at the bottom (above shutter) until you see the 3 circles > click on the 3 circles > what do you have selected there? If you have Original you will only get one photo, if you have anything else like Vivid the phone will retain two versions of the photo, the original + the edited version (this is a sticky setting, it will remain so until you change it). That is likely why you have two copies. See below:

And with my due respects the person you spoke with was mistaken. You are "editing" all your photos and retaining the edits and the original. Also Image Capture is an Apple product.

Apr 27, 2022 1:11 PM in response to ASTRO24

Hello

I called APPLE SUPPORT again and this time we "resolved" it. Turns out, IMAGE CAPTURE is presenting two versions of the same photo. This is inherent with IMAGE CAPTURE, not an APPLE PRODUCT, but ALLEY of Support knew this. When I went to PHOTO APP on the MAC, it only shows the one file.

My question has been answered and I thank you all for your help!

I thought my iPhone was creating multiple files and taking up space.

Thanks,

Art

Apr 27, 2022 12:01 PM in response to artmat55

Hey there artmat55,

This sounds interesting indeed! Do you also use iCloud Photos? We're asking to see if the photos are already showing on your Mac.

If not, let's have you follow the information included in this guide: Transfer images in Image Capture on Mac. We're starting here to make sure to follow every step included. When you get to "Select images, if you don’t want to import all of them", make sure to select a few images that you don't want to keep, then have them deleted after importing. We'd be curious to see if they duplicate once again.

If so, you'd want to check with Apple Support. They can check into this further with you to narrow down why you're getting the duplicates.

Take care.

Apr 27, 2022 12:08 PM in response to tgok23

Hello

When I transfer the photos from iPhone 13 Pro to MBP M1X, I use IMAGE CAPTURE. I do not use PHOTOS nor do I use the iCLOUD for photos at this time.

When I clean out all my photos (Delete them and the DELETED ALBUM), I took 1 photo. Using PHOTO APP on iPHONE 13 PRO I see one photo. When I bring up IMAGE CAPTURE on the MBP M1X it will list the photos that are on the phone. And YES, it shows the two types: IMG_1234 and IMG_E1234.JPG or .HEIC . . . I can select just the one I want, but that would be crazy since I take a lot of photos.

What I want to know is WHY are THERE two versions on the iPHONE??? I don't EDIT them on the iPHONE... what are the differences with the "E" versus the non-"E"?

Thanks,

Art

Apr 27, 2022 2:01 PM in response to artmat55

I am on 15.4.1, iP13 Pro, M1 MBP Pro, and I don't get two versions in Image Capture. Those are clearly different pictures, look at the File Sizes.

I checked the settings for the camera and I don't see any settings that would trigger that. Here is the I.C. User Guide, does not show what you are seeing:

Transfer images in Image Capture on Mac - Apple Support

I have a "batcall" on this thread in the expert lounge; let's see if anyone responds. I still suspect a corrupted system and thus the Restore. A Restore from backup is no big deal with an encrypted backup but the corruption may not go away. The only way to test is to backup first (encrypted), then Restore as New, not from backup, then take a few pictures and test. If it goes away you got the reason, a PITA I know.

Apr 27, 2022 1:36 PM in response to artmat55

Hmm... I hesitate to mucky muck your "solution" but FWIW I have an iPhone 13 Pro and an M1 MBP running Monte and the "answer" above did not sound ok to me so I connected my iPhone to the Mac and opened Image Capture and I only see one copy of my pictures, not two. I have never seen two and I use Image Capture regularly.

Below are some pictures I took with my iPhone 13 Pro of my old iPhone 7 before it went in to Apple for a battery replacement and as you can see Image Capture only shows one version of each, not two. So IMO something is still not right with your phone. I would suggest a Forced Restart and if not a Restore from Backup.

Apr 27, 2022 3:35 PM in response to elcpu

This from one of the experts; will not solve your issue but may help explain it and FWIW I agree with him. Still waiting on others.

When you edit an image on an iOS device the edits are destructive and a new image is created with the "E" added to the filename, leaving the original image unaffected. So there will be two files resulting: Img_xxxx.jpg and Img_Exxx.jpg

AAE files were/are image sidecar files but as far as I know the AAE approach was discontinued after iOS 11. AAE's were how iPhones did nondestructive editing. The AAE's contained the edits & adjustments; the corresponding original image files remained unaffected. In this case there would be two files resulting: Img_xxxx.jpg and Img_xxxx.AAE

The OP's explanation of what the Apple Support rep may have said makes no sense. I have never seen this behavior with any of my iPhones or Macs ... and Image Capture is an Apple product.

Apr 27, 2022 7:15 PM in response to elcpu

One other comment.;.. You posted that "I thought my iPhone was creating multiple files and taking up space." That is correct, as you can see in Image Capture you have two files for each photo and they indeed are taking up space in your iPhone, about twice the space. The "Recents" on your phone will only display the edited version - one has no idea that the photo is edited unless you click on Edit and then see the red Revert on the lower right corner.

May 7, 2022 10:02 AM in response to artmat55

My iPhone 13 Pro shows two photos also, one labeled IMG_xxx.jpg and the other IMG._EXXX.jpg, sometime the E is on the end as such, IMG_XXXE.jpg. One is a square photo, larger size and the other is 16x9, smaller size. I have studied the photos, the 16x9 photo is exactly like the square photo with the bottom cut off to make the photo a 16x9, with small kb size. If I email the photo it emails the 16x9 photo with the E removed. Retrieved from icloud i get the smaller 16x9. Just to note, I access the photos using Windows10 with a usb cable, it give me access to the photos, then I copy them to my hard drive. After I use Photos on the iPhone to delete all the photos.

iPHONE 13 PRO Two Photos IMG and IMG E

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.