Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync Music library between two computers on different networks

Hi!

Over the years, I've built a huge music library on my computer (I'm not an Apple Music subscriber), that I'd like to be able to listen to on my work iMac. I moved the library file and the media files on my iCloud storage, which has plenty of space and is linked to my work iMac with the same Apple ID.

The problem is that the library file doesn't sync, for example if I delete a file from the library on my Macbook Air, it will still show on Apple Music on my iMac, even though both computers' settings point to the same library file. Apple Music sometimes shows a warning message saying that it wasn't able to save the library file.

Is there any possibility of this setup to work? If yes, how can I fix the saving errors I get? If not, is there another way that I can have my music library sync between these two devices? I can't use Home Sharing, since they're not on the same wifi network.

Many thanks for your help!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 1:32 AM

You could consider iTunes Match: Subscribe to iTunes Match – Apple Support (AU)

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 26, 2022 11:04 PM in response to Sawphie

Sawphie Said:

"Sync Music library between two computers on different networks: [...]The problem is that the library file doesn't sync, for example if I delete a file from the library on my Macbook Air, it will still show on Apple Music on my iMac, even though both computers' settings point to the same library file. Apple Music sometimes shows a warning message saying that it wasn't able to save the library file.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Music Syncing:

If these are not showing up, then they are likely just downloaded, and are not synced through the networks. If you need to share these, then you might need to have FTP enabled on both Macs. As for the connection, if you have Security Software installed, then uninstall it, using the uninstaller provided by the Security Software's Developer. If work plays any role in this, then contact the Network Administrator for assistance with accessing the files. If college has anything to do with this, then contact the Web Master, as they are the one who administrates the network.

Apr 26, 2022 11:39 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for your answer. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "If these are not showing up, then they are likely just downloaded", is it that they are on iCloud on one computer but haven't been synched through to the other devices?

I have noticed that the last version of the library I used at work was saved in the "Previous Libraries" folder with yesterday's date in the title. The library file in the "Music" folder was last modified from Sunday, when I last accessed it on my Macbook Air. Don't know if that helps...

Sync Music library between two computers on different networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.