Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t find any Browser choice on my iPad.

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 7:49 AM

Safari is installed by default. Other web-browsers - such as Firefox, Chrome, Brave etc. - can be found and installed from the Apple App Store.

When you have installed one or more additional browser Apps, you can select the default browser from iPad settings.

13 replies

Apr 27, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Andyeippert

Andyeippert wrote:

There are several websites I attempt to go to, including my doctor’s appointment confirmations, and a window pops up telling the browser I’m using isn’t supported.

Safari is Apple’s built-in browser. There are other third-party browsers (such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge etc), but most have reliance upon the same core WebKit libraries.

Some websites incorrectly identify your iOS/iPadOS Safari User Agent when used in one or other of its browsing modes - of which there are two - these being Desktop and Mobile. Misidentification of the browser Agent can often manifest as the website reporting that your browser is out of date, or won’t properly render a page.

It’s easy to switch between modes if a website isn’t functioning correctly. From the desired web-page, touch the aA icon at the left of the Address Bar; this will reveal a menu. From the menu select Website Settings, then select (or deselect) Request Desktop Website, then tap Done. Now refresh the webpage.

The chosen setting will be saved for the selected website - and can be simply reversed if needed. For websites that have most issues with browser compatibility, Safari is often the browser most likely to work - if you choose the correct mode.

As mentioned by ChrisJ4203, you can select your default browser:

Change the default web browser or email app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2022 9:20 AM in response to Andyeippert

Andyeippert wrote:

I have the Firefox, Duck Duck Go and Chrome apps. I can see browser selection on my iPhone 11, but it just doesn’t show that choice in settings anywhere on my iPad. It is running the current IOS.

Why are you looking for a choice in settings? What setting are you trying to change? Do the browsers work when you launch them from the home screen?

Apr 27, 2022 9:41 AM in response to Andyeippert

What version of iPad do you have and what version of iOS/iPadOS? It seems you may not have the latest version of iPadOS if you are not seeing that setting. That link I provided says you need to have iPadOS 14 or higher. Except for the browser apps that you describe, Safari updates with iPadOS, so if you have the latest iPadOS, you would have the latest version of Safari. It is possible that these specific websites may not support those browser apps.

Apr 27, 2022 9:54 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I’m running the current IOS. I don’t know what iPad generation I have - it’s about 3 years old. I finally figured it out. When I get the box telling me there are 3 dots at the bottom of the page. I touched them and another box popped up asking me what browser I wanted to use to open it. I could then select from Safari, Chrome, Firefox or Duck Duck Go.

I still have no way to select a browser in settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.