Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change password

Why won't iMac accept new password? I changed my password on OS 12.3.1, but iMac accepts only old password? Thanks.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 9:43 AM

There are only 2 passwords for a Mac,

1. The Administrator's login password which is use primarily when you turn on the computer and log in.
  2. Your AppleID is a unique identifier you will use for all of your Apple related content. All users need their own AppleID! An AppleID allows you to do things like Family Sharing and use iCloud. Apple explains much better than I do what an AppleID is in this YouTube video:

What is an Apple ID? | Apple Support - YouTube

To reset your admin password please refer to: If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support

To reset your Apple ID Password please refer to: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 9:43 AM in response to TautLines

There are only 2 passwords for a Mac,

1. The Administrator's login password which is use primarily when you turn on the computer and log in.
  2. Your AppleID is a unique identifier you will use for all of your Apple related content. All users need their own AppleID! An AppleID allows you to do things like Family Sharing and use iCloud. Apple explains much better than I do what an AppleID is in this YouTube video:

What is an Apple ID? | Apple Support - YouTube

To reset your admin password please refer to: If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support

To reset your Apple ID Password please refer to: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Can't change password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.