Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi interruptions several times a day on my Macbook pro 2021 (Monterey 12.3.1)

So I work remotely, and lately I notice that several times a day my connection hangs, for example, on youtube everything stops and the video wheel circles on the video I'm watching, I try and open a new window to google and nothing, all my work logins just hang. I thought it was my router, however, I tested other wifi connected devices during these episodes and they're all fine. I even ran a wifi speed test on my other mobile devices while my macbook just hangs. It doesn't last very long, maybe 20-30 seconds, then it reconnects and everything is fine. It's more annoying than anything. This definitely wasn't happening before.

As I mentioned I initially suspected my router and even went as far as to get a new one from the ISP. It turns out that all the other devices are fine, just not my macbook, and I'm noticing it happens about 4 to 5 times a day on average now.

I wasn't sure if this was a known issue or if it's just me.

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 10:05 AM

Wi-Fi slow and/or disconnecting— current accommodations include:

Updating software:

• if on Monterey, Updating to the very latest version of Monterey.

Reducing number of networks being evaluated:

• Checking the [√] ask to Join new networks check box:

< Wi-FI ask-to-Join>

AND purging the list of potentially-available networks in this pane:

System preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (Advanced) ...

... to leave ONLY the networks you might really join:

< Wi-Fi networks list >>

>> all of these reduce the number of networks your Mac is evaluating on a moment-by moment basis, looking for a better connection.

IPv6:

System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) >TCP/IP > IPv6 ... to Link-local only

ON may cause routing activity that interferes with your networking.

OFF will make it hard to find printers and other services on your network.

“Limit IP address Tracking” has been shown to be an issue on some Networks:

< Limit IP address tracking >

VPN:

If you have enabled ANY VPN features in system preferences > network

these can interfere with regular network operation.

If you are using a VPN you installed on your own, remove it while continuing to debug.

Also remove ALL devices in the left pane related to VPN in:

System Preferences > Network

If this VPN is for an Institutional/Corporate connection, contact your institution for additional guidance.

80Mhz channels:

If your 5GHz band is configured (on your Router) to 80MHz channel-width, some users have reported problems. If they reconfigured the 5GHZ band to back to 40MHz channels, many of their connection and speed problems evaporated.

Network Location:

If you continue to have trouble after using these steps, create a new named Network "Location" -- a collection of settings applied "all at once" when you select it. Every new named "Location" you create starts with all defaults, which lets you walk away from any errant settings that might be causing you trouble:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 10:05 AM in response to giovannym007

Wi-Fi slow and/or disconnecting— current accommodations include:

Updating software:

• if on Monterey, Updating to the very latest version of Monterey.

Reducing number of networks being evaluated:

• Checking the [√] ask to Join new networks check box:

< Wi-FI ask-to-Join>

AND purging the list of potentially-available networks in this pane:

System preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (Advanced) ...

... to leave ONLY the networks you might really join:

< Wi-Fi networks list >>

>> all of these reduce the number of networks your Mac is evaluating on a moment-by moment basis, looking for a better connection.

IPv6:

System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) >TCP/IP > IPv6 ... to Link-local only

ON may cause routing activity that interferes with your networking.

OFF will make it hard to find printers and other services on your network.

“Limit IP address Tracking” has been shown to be an issue on some Networks:

< Limit IP address tracking >

VPN:

If you have enabled ANY VPN features in system preferences > network

these can interfere with regular network operation.

If you are using a VPN you installed on your own, remove it while continuing to debug.

Also remove ALL devices in the left pane related to VPN in:

System Preferences > Network

If this VPN is for an Institutional/Corporate connection, contact your institution for additional guidance.

80Mhz channels:

If your 5GHz band is configured (on your Router) to 80MHz channel-width, some users have reported problems. If they reconfigured the 5GHZ band to back to 40MHz channels, many of their connection and speed problems evaporated.

Network Location:

If you continue to have trouble after using these steps, create a new named Network "Location" -- a collection of settings applied "all at once" when you select it. Every new named "Location" you create starts with all defaults, which lets you walk away from any errant settings that might be causing you trouble:

May 25, 2022 6:34 AM in response to GalusPeres

GalusPeres wrote:

I have extreme WIFI drops when the keynote program is open.
With keynote I have 25Mbps and with closed 550Mbps.

This suggests the CPU is overloaded. This can happen when you Mac is extremely busy doing 'busy-work'.

If you have installed software that wastes computer resources on a regular basis, such as speeder-uppers, Cleaner-uppers/Removers, Optimizers, Virus Scanners, third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive, or a VPN that you installed yourself, it will do busywork at previously-impossible speeds — and unable to preform ordinary tasks such as servicing the Wi-Fi..

Wifi interruptions several times a day on my Macbook pro 2021 (Monterey 12.3.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.