Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off imessage delete confirmation on Apple computer?

How does one disable this feature? I don't know why Apple feels the need to parent their customers, but this additional pop-up box is obnoxious & just creates additional work for users. The messages are on the phone too, so why the extra default box on the computer just to delete a text message? In addition, the confirmation pop-up used to automatically highlight the 'delete' button, so one could quickly hit the return key & the message would be gone. That's now been changed, so users have to manually move the cursor from the highlighted 'cancel' to the 'delete' button, adding another step to simply delete a text message. Does anyone know of a setting to turn this off or a way to hack it out through Terminal? TIA

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 12:18 PM

You can't turn it off.

The messages are on the phone too, so why the extra default box on the computer just to delete a text message?

If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages, once you delete the message on one device, it's deleted on all of them. That's why Apple added this additional step.

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

You can, however, let Apple (who doesn't read here for suggestions), your thoughts on the matter:

Product Feedback - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2022 12:18 PM in response to actionjackson3

You can't turn it off.

The messages are on the phone too, so why the extra default box on the computer just to delete a text message?

If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages, once you delete the message on one device, it's deleted on all of them. That's why Apple added this additional step.

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

You can, however, let Apple (who doesn't read here for suggestions), your thoughts on the matter:

Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 27, 2022 1:39 PM in response to actionjackson3

actionjackson3 wrote:

I don't use iCloud. Is there any way to hack it out through Terminal?

It has nothing to do with whether or not you use iCloud. The conformation was a feature that was added when syncing service was released so as to avoid huge numbers of people losing their minds when they deleted a message on their iPhone thinking it would remain on their Mac (or vice versa), as you assumed.

I've already contacted Apple about product feedback, but I don't think they read those either.

They do. However, this feature has now been in place for several years so, it seems unlikely that Apple is getting the tsunami of requests to change it that might lead them to consider doing so.

Apple can't please everyone all the time. And, they do not have history of providing the ability to turn on or off every feature.

How to turn off imessage delete confirmation on Apple computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.