You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

won't airdrop between iPhone 13 and Mac Air?

On a iPhone 13 running 15.4.1 and a Mac Air running Monterey 12.3.1 - both new (though I'm a long-time Apple user). I successfully dropped a photo from the phone to my old Mac desktop last week, but this is the first time trying to do so with the Mac Air.

I can't get either device to AirDrop to the other. I checked the support page and the suggested actions are complete in the Firewall tab for the laptop.

When I select a photo on the laptop to Drop, my iPhone shows up in the dialog box, but there's no "send" button ... clicking on my iPhone icon or the thumbnail photo does nothing ... clicking "done" closes the dialog box.

When I select a photo on the phone, it can't see the laptop.

The devices are well within range to Air Drop and both are signed in with my AppleID. Bluetooth is on for both devices (my wireless mouse works fine with the laptop).

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 2:14 PM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2022 11:44 AM in response to Wade187

Hey Wade187,

We noticed you reviewed this article: Use AirDrop on your Mac. Are both devices AirDrop set to "Everyone?

If not, for troubleshooting purposes we ask that you attempt to AirDrop with both devices set to Everyone: How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Once the link loads, scroll to the section labeled "How to adjust AirDrop settings".

If you continue the have issues, and Screen Time is enabled on one or both devices. Make sure AirDrop is an Allowed App by following the steps below:

For iPhone

1. "Go to Settings > Screen Time.
  2. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
  3. Tap Allowed Apps and make sure that AirDrop is turned on."

For Mac , follow the steps in this article: Choose always allowed apps in Screen Time on Mac.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Apr 29, 2022 6:21 AM in response to Wade187

Wade187,

Thanks for trying that. Let's next try toggling Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off and back on for both devices.

If that doesn't take care of it, test AirDrop while using safe mode. This will clear cache at start up and make sure there aren't any third-party apps interfering with the process: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

"Apple silicon

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
  3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
  4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again."

Let us know what happens.

Have a fantastic day!

May 9, 2022 2:57 PM in response to tbirdvet

It is fixed. Thanks all. Sorry for the delay in updating, but I had to travel.

Toggled bluetooth and wifi off on both devices, shut them down them for good measure while toggled off, and rebooted the router while devices were down. When everything came back up I was able to successfully AirDrop photos from the laptop to the phone and from the phone to the laptop.

Apr 28, 2022 2:56 PM in response to Sheree_P

I changed from "contacts only" to "everyone" on both devices. I don't use screen time and it is toggled off on both devices.

The devices can see each other, but the photo won't transmit. (Yesterday the phone stopped seeing the MacBook after a couple of unsuccessful tries to Air Drop.)

iPhone: select the photo from the library, hit the share button (the rectangle with an upward arrow) ... the MacBook Air shows up, but it doesn't transmit and eventually times out

MacBook Air: I have the .jpg on the desktop for easy access. (1) Select the photo, hit the share button, a dialog box opens as before but same thing ... no action when clicking anything. Then I tried (2) open AirDrop, MacBook sees the phone, but dragging the photo into the airdrop box does nothing.

There has to be a setting somewhere that's different from my old desktop even though I used Migration Assistant to move my stuff over to the MacBook.

won't airdrop between iPhone 13 and Mac Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.