Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 11” iPad Pro is constantly crashing.

For awhile now my iPad Pro crashes a lot. Open an app and boom I get a purple? screen and it goes black and reboots. It does it in the web or apps. I has 64 gb used of 1 TB. I’ve offloaded a lot apps I barely use. But it persists. I can’t believe storage is an issue here. It’s running iPadOS 15.4.1. Getting incredibly frustrating. How do you know if it’s a hardware problem?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 2:11 PM

You can Erase All Content & Settings from iPad settings - but not perform a Factory Restore. Only the latter will completely reinstall the Operating System - and will require either a PC or Mac to download, unpack, verify and re-flash the Operating System.

10 replies

Apr 28, 2022 2:12 AM in response to tony.d.

tony.d. wrote:

Well that be good but I’m no where near one. I’m tempted to to wipe it and reinstall. But I’d like to know if it’s a common problem. Like too many apps open? Can that effect it?

No, this doesn’t seem to be a common problem - or at least, it is not commonly reported here.

If you don’t have access to an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) where your iPad can be tested and evaluated, then your options are somewhat limited.

Certainly, restoring your iPad to Factory Settings would be an excellent diagnostic step - as in so doing you will be completely erasing the iPad of all data and settings, in addition to installing a fresh copy of the most recent version of iOS/iPadOS that is supported by your iPad.

So as to preserve your valuable data, before proceeding, you would be well advised to ensure that you have an up-to-date iCloud or iTunes backup:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When you are ready to proceed, you can follow this Factory Restore process, for which you will need access to either a PC with iTunes installed, or a Mac computer (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS):

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

As the Factory Restore process concludes, you will have opportunity to restore data from your iCloud or iTunes backup. At this stage, for diagnostic purposes, you might be best advised to skip restoration of your data at this time - instead setting-up as a new iPad. This will allow you to fully set-up afresh, excluding your data or settings as a possible cause of system instability.

If difficulties persist after setup, then your iPad has a fault that requires attention - and can be returned to Apple or an AASP for repair:

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

Otherwise, if the iPad is functioning normally, you can restore your data and settings from your iCloud or iTunes backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Having restored your data/settings from your backup, if instability returns, then you have demonstrated that the problem lies within your data or settings. If the iPad remains stable, then an OS corruption has been resolved through reinstalling the Operating System.

My 11” iPad Pro is constantly crashing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.