Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Font Book displays zero fonts

My installed fonts are entirely missing from Font Book, including all system fonts. This may be a visual bug because other apps like Keynote and Excel can access the fonts okay. I've also checked that all my system and personal fonts are in the correct Font folders. I tried installing new fonts, but they also don't appear in Font Book. I haven't tried restoring standard fonts since I don't want to install all my fonts again (plus, it might not work). This might have something to do with me trying to remove the font cache following this guide https://gist.github.com/jaredhowland/2da83f0cc0fbb1ac523f since Excel took a long time to load fonts every time (which did not work, for that matter).

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 27, 2022 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 3:09 AM

Reinstall macOS.

This might have something to do with me trying to remove the font cache following this guide https://gist.github.com/jaredhowland/2da83f0cc0fbb1ac523f

Perhaps, but that's probably ill-advised. A Safe Boot removes certain font caches maintained by macOS. That's all one should ever do.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2022 3:09 AM in response to RWSupport58

Reinstall macOS.

This might have something to do with me trying to remove the font cache following this guide https://gist.github.com/jaredhowland/2da83f0cc0fbb1ac523f

Perhaps, but that's probably ill-advised. A Safe Boot removes certain font caches maintained by macOS. That's all one should ever do.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 29, 2022 5:19 AM in response to RWSupport58

RWSupport58 wrote:

Reinstalling macOS shouldn't remove any data, right?

Right. In other words it's nondestructive, but it's good to be cautious. Sometimes (hopefully rarely) a Mac will fail catastrophically for reasons that can't be correlated to anything you might have done. As long as you have a Time Machine backup that prospect, however remote it might be, should never concern you.

Also, assuming I manage to go through all this, would I still have to safe boot to remove font cache, or would the entire reinstalling macOS process do so in the process?

I don't know if reinstalling macOS also performs the functions of a safe boot. Apple used to have a Support document that described what it does in greater, if somewhat cursory detail, but they no longer provide that information. An older version of that document contained the following (excerpt):

What is "Safe Mode"?

Safe Mode (sometimes called Safe Boot) is a way to start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks, and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening.

Starting up in Safe Mode does several things:

• It verifies your startup disk, and attempts to repair directory issues if needed.
  • Only required kernel extensions are loaded.
  • All user installed fonts are disabled while you are in Safe Mode.

Note: disabled, not removed. They will remain available after restarting your Mac normally.

Continuing that excerpt:

• Startup Items and Login Items are not opened during startup and login on OS X v10.4 or later.
  • In OS X 10.4 and later, font caches that are stored in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/uid/ are moved to the Trash (where uid is a user ID number).
  • In OS X v10.3.9 or earlier, Safe Mode opens only Apple-installed startup items. These items are usually located in /Library/StartupItems. These items are different from user-selected account login items.

The boldface explains how Safe Boot handles font caches that might have become corrupted.

Just be advised that Support document has been removed and not simply "archived", and its information should be considered no longer valid.

Apr 28, 2022 8:41 PM in response to John Galt

Reinstalling macOS shouldn't remove any data, right? I know it says so online, but I'm just being paranoid. (Of course, I'll still backup before just in case.) Or, instead, is there some way I can try reinstalling Font Book? (I tried resetting it, including restoring standard fonts as I said previously, but it didn't work.) Also, assuming I manage to go through all this, would I still have to safe boot to remove font cache, or would the entire reinstalling macOS process do so in the process? (Sorry, I'm somewhat new to these stuff.)

Apr 29, 2022 10:15 PM in response to John Galt

So uh, something interesting happened.

For some reason, I decided to try out Safe Boot before reinstalling macOS, and somehow, it fixed all my problems. Font Book works perfectly fine now, and Safe Boot has resolved a few other issues I have been experiencing.

The only thing is that Excel still takes an unbearably long time to load fonts, which was why I went through this whole ordeal in the first place (Now that I think about it, I probably should have mentioned that at first.) And yes, I did try finding the Excel font cache as mentioned on other websites, but for some reason, the folders I was supposed to find don't appear. Whatever files I found related to font cache (basically everything inside folders that had the words "font" and "cache" in them and were associated with Office) did not help after removing them. I'll probably make another post about that later, but if you know anything about this, it'll be much appreciated if you could reply with a solution.

May 3, 2022 9:57 PM in response to RWSupport58

Whatever files I found related to font cache (basically everything inside folders that had the words "font" and "cache" in them and were associated with Office) did not help after removing them.

You pretty much did what I would have done.

In the sprit of reinventing the wheel, Microsoft has always had its own way of handling fonts — the same fonts that are used with everything else the Mac does. As far as I know they're the only major developer who insists upon that, and it's a frequent cause of trouble.

May 3, 2022 10:25 PM in response to John Galt

As far as I know they're the only major developer who insists upon that, and it's a frequent cause of trouble.

Honestly, I'm not surprised Microsoft would try to be "unique" and end up causing pain to all of us.

Either way, I suppose about 10 seconds to load fonts isn't that bad, so I'll learn to live with it. (Font Book is kind of the same, anyways.) Anyways, thanks for helping with my issue. Hopefully, nothing like this happens again, and if it does, at least I'll try a Safe Boot before deleting random files with a command I randomly found on the internet.

Font Book displays zero fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.