Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone wifi hotspot selection

Hello!

I have two hotspots for my home network - one in the house and one in the garden office.

Recently I found that my phone is preferring to connect to the garden hotspot when returning home and this was causing connectivity issues with my homepod (connected to the house hotspot).

So I turned off auto-join for the garden hotspot. The intention was that I would manually select the garden hotspot when working during the day, but for the rest (majority) of the time my phone would prefer the house hotspot.

However I am finding during the working day that, despite manually selecting the garden hotspot, the phone, particularly after the screen locks, is reverting back to the house hotspot, despite the signal being so weak (can't even download whatsapp messages).

Any idea why it would do this? In the garden office the house hotspot signal is clearly weaker (-80db v -45db) but, with auto-join enabled, it seems to rank the weaker house hotspot higher. What's more, once manually put on the stronger garden hotspot, the iphone does not move out of range, which is usually when a device searches for a better hotspot.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 8:03 AM

mattcd216,

Thanks. To prevent your iPhone from seeking another Wi-Fi signal, you will need tor disable auto join for all nearby networks. Apple always welcomes customer feedback and suggestions for future iOS features here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Take care.

Similar questions

6 replies

May 6, 2022 3:32 AM in response to karina184

Hi @karina. Thanks for the help. I have forgotten both networks and re-joined. Again I have disabled auto-join for the garden hotspot to prioritise the house.

Same behaviour persists - even when manually selecting garden hotspot and when the garden hotspot signal is far stronger, the phone reverts to the weaker house hotspot after the screen locks.

Matt

May 6, 2022 6:24 AM in response to mattcd216

We appreciate you letting us know, Matt,

Are the hotspots you're referring to being broadcast from a phone or do you use a Wi-Fi router?

You may also consider resetting the Network Settings on your iPhone. You can go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Are you using any VPN software on your iPhone?

We look forward to your reply.

Cheers!

May 6, 2022 7:43 AM in response to Miche11e_P

Hi.

Reset network settings. Same behavior.

I do occasionally use a wireguard VPN back to home, but obviously not while I'm at home.

These hotspots are both wifi routers, set up as access points.

Note - if I re-enable auto-join for the garden hotspot it will stay connected. It is only when auto-join is disabled that it reverts to the weaker house hotspot. It would seem the phone is preferring hotspots where auto-join is enabled, which is not quite what I'd expect. If I manually select a known network (with auto-join disabled) I expect the phone to hold on to that network until the signal strength becomes unworkable.

Thanks for the help,

Matt

iphone wifi hotspot selection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.