Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine disk not ejected properly

I just updated my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air to Monterey. I have a time machine drive on a networked Mac Mini that is still running Mojave because I have to run software on it unsupported by Monterey. Since the Monterey updates, those two machines are getting "disk not ejected properly" errors that appear to be referring to the time machine backups.

Any advice? I cannot upgrade the Mini to Monterey.

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 7:51 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2022 12:06 PM in response to tbirdvet

Thank you. I searched the Monterey section and couldn't find this topic.

I never realized the "prevent hard drive from sleeping" option applied to *networked* time machine drives. This particular message never appeared in Mojave. I've had infrequent seemingly random "backup couldn't be completed" errors in Mojave, though.

The mini running Mojave with the time machine drive has always had "prevent hard drive from sleeping" deselected. It is also set to never sleep. It has no display, and I control it with screen sharing.

The "prevent hard drive from sleeping" option is not showing at all on my MacBook Pro, which is odd.

It is showing on the MacBook Air. It was selected on the Air, and I've deselected it.

Both laptop machines have 'enable power nap" selected under power adapter, which they are on when the errors occur, and that setting states that it allows time machine backups to run when selected.

We'll see if the Air stops throwing those errors, but any idea why the Pro doesn't even show the hard drive sleep option at all?

time machine disk not ejected properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.