Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Understanding notifications on an IPad - Switching from Banners to Alerts

Hi,

I often get jobs last minute via email which I must respond asap. I have figured out how to have a sound alert whenever I get an email. On the lock screen the notification stays on (Banner) until I turn on my Ipad. However, if I am using my Ipad and step away for a moment I still get the sound alert, but the banner disappears. I know on my Mac I can switch notifications from Banners to Alerts and the notification stays on until I click it. Is this possible on an Ipad?

Thanks!

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 9:43 AM

If Notifications are not behaving as expected for a particular notification type, disable (i.e., turn off) the Notification that is not working as expected - then exit settings entirely.

Next, force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

After your iPad restarts, revisit iPad Settings - and again set the Notification settings as you would lime them to operate.

The process of disabling and re-enabling the required Notification type, coupled with the restart, will hopefully clear the problem.

Notifications and associated settings have been heavily revised in iOS/iPadOS 15.x. While they work broadly as before, the settings are now significantly less granular. When compared with iOS/iPadOS14 and earlier, some functionality has been lost - and the new settings structure is counter intuitive; settings can unexpectedly disable notification sounds.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Gary Goldblum

If Notifications are not behaving as expected for a particular notification type, disable (i.e., turn off) the Notification that is not working as expected - then exit settings entirely.

Next, force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

After your iPad restarts, revisit iPad Settings - and again set the Notification settings as you would lime them to operate.

The process of disabling and re-enabling the required Notification type, coupled with the restart, will hopefully clear the problem.

Notifications and associated settings have been heavily revised in iOS/iPadOS 15.x. While they work broadly as before, the settings are now significantly less granular. When compared with iOS/iPadOS14 and earlier, some functionality has been lost - and the new settings structure is counter intuitive; settings can unexpectedly disable notification sounds.

Apr 28, 2022 9:02 AM in response to Gary Goldblum

With the Banner Style set to Persistent, as illustrated, the screen notification should remain visible on your unlocked iPad screen until dismissed.

Notifications directed to the Notifications page should remain visible within the Notifications list until accessed - at which point the notification will disappear.

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 28, 2022 9:32 AM in response to LotusPilot

That is NOT how it is behaving. My settings for G-mail are listed above. I got a notification that you responded to my post while I was reading the news on my Ipad. That BANNER disappears about 2 seconds later, and I didn't click on anything. On my Mac I have an ALERT (see below) that I disconnected a drive improperly. This ALERT stays visible until I click on it. This is what I want my Ipad to do. Apparently this is not possible?

Thanks for your help.

Understanding notifications on an IPad - Switching from Banners to Alerts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.