Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music authorization under OLD Apple ID requires changing ID?

Years ago, my Apple ID was OldName@oldmail.com. I purchased some music under that Apple ID.

. My current Apple ID is CurrentName@mail.com, and I have lots of music purchased under that as well.

. When I try to play an old song (using Monterey), I'm told it's not authorized.

. When I try to authorize it under OldName@oldmail.com, Apple sends the two-factor authentication code to OldName, which I can still read.

. But the email says "You recently selected OldName@oldmail.com as your new Apple ID. To verify this email address belongs to you, enter the code below on the email verification page."

. Please note: I do not want to change my Apple ID, so I'm reluctant to use the code. Without the code, I can't play the old songs, because (understandably) authentication is required.

. If I use the code sent to OldName in order to authorize the songs, will my Apple ID change to OldName@oldmail.com?

. If so, can I change my Apple ID to CurrentName@mail.com and play songs purchased under EITHER AppleID?

OR simply: please explain how I can play songs that were purchased at different times, under different Apple IDs?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 1:25 PM

Anything you purchase is always tied to the Apple ID you used at the time. If you didn't change the ID but instead created a new one, you would have to use Family Sharing to set up a share between the two accounts to share content.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

May 5, 2022 12:11 PM in response to mhbeard

This issue is now finally closed, but it’s not as a result of Family Sharing. The answer turned out to be Authorize/Deauthorize This Computer, after a very complicated process of trial and error involving OldName, old Macs (incapable of running a new OS, as required by iTunes), and very unclear instructions about how to enter passwords and authentication codes. The UI is amazingly opaque, especially for an Apple product with its vaunted ease of use. Bugs in iTunes design and code added to the problem. Zero points to Apple.

May 2, 2022 10:37 AM in response to muguy

Thanks for this response; I followed its advice. (To initiate Family Sharing with OldName@oldmail.com as the Organizer, I had to associate that AppleID with an old phone, since it’s apparently not possible to start Family Sharing from the web.) OldName is the Organizer, and AnotherName is the Apple ID with whom OldName is sharing. I have copied a playlist to the Mac whose AppleID is AnotherName, and the songs are visible in Music. However, when I try to play a song purchased (long ago) by OldName, I still get the “not authorized under this AppleID” message. Thanks for whatever further advice anyone can provide.

Music authorization under OLD Apple ID requires changing ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.