Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access Music library on NAS with different Music app versions?

Hello community!

I'm using on the same network on older iMac running Catalina (the latest supported version) with Music 1.0.6.10, and a newer iMac running Monterey 12.3.1 with Music 1.2.3.56. Between the two Music versions, the library format has changed. The common library file located on a NAS server cannot be accessed simultaneously by the two iMacs/Music apps as the format is incompatible.

Is there a way to solve this? Either by syncing the libraries with some tool, by forcing an update of the Music app on the older iMac, or something else ...?

I do not want to use iTunes Match or any other Cloud service, as I have my whole music files on the NAS... :)

Any ideas from the community?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 12:20 PM

Typically the one database file cannot be opened simultaneously by two different instances of Music. Since you can go forward, but not back, you might make the bulk of your edits using Catalina, then backup the database before accessing it with Monterey. Restore the Catalina database before opening with Catalina. Alternatively bring the database back into local storage on both systems where you can use them independently and simultaneously with a common media folder, but you'll have to manually mirror such edits as you want to be in both libraries.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 12:20 PM in response to cloclolulu

Typically the one database file cannot be opened simultaneously by two different instances of Music. Since you can go forward, but not back, you might make the bulk of your edits using Catalina, then backup the database before accessing it with Monterey. Restore the Catalina database before opening with Catalina. Alternatively bring the database back into local storage on both systems where you can use them independently and simultaneously with a common media folder, but you'll have to manually mirror such edits as you want to be in both libraries.

tt2

May 2, 2022 2:15 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello tt2,

Thanks for taking some time to troubleshoot my issue. I hoped there was another solution as it seems so straight-forward, but your proposal sounds like a good workaround, and I think Apple is more interested in selling Cloud services than allowing people to use their own NAS drives. I tried in parallel, Music 1.2.3.56 will not run on Catalina. Regards!

Access Music library on NAS with different Music app versions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.