Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a MacBook Air from early 2015, 13 inch,1.6 GHz, 8 GB. Can I upgrade to Catalina?

I have a MacBook Air from early 2015, 13 inch,1.6 GHz, 8 GB. Can I upgrade to Catalina?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 2:24 PM

macOS Catalina is compatible with these computers – Apple Support (UK)

yes you can! In fact, you can also upgrade to Monterey! macOS Monterey is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

I also have this model MacBook air and I am running Monterey with no problems.

2 replies

Apr 30, 2022 4:06 PM in response to DianaBillsville

! Before you upgrade to Catalina, please look at these Apple Support documents. Specifically, check that your Macintosh is on the list of compatible computers and familiarize yourself with the limitations of 32-bit applications and Catalina.

See > How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

See > Learn about 32-bit app compatibility – Apple Support 

Be aware that any 32-bit apps that you are currently using will be incompatible with Catalina and will not run. You must update to Catalina-compatible versions or replace them with alternative applications that meet Catalina’s 64-bit requirement.

This includes older versions of Adobe CC, Microsoft Office apps, some device drivers and apps for printers and scanners and many others. All current Apple software is Catalina-ready, and updates for some older Apple titles are available for download in the Mac App Store.

This seemingly small detail has tripped up many users who have upgraded to Catalina and then find their software is broken. 

You can check which of your current apps are 32-bit by clicking the  Apple () menu > System Preferences > About This Mac > System Report.  Then scroll down the list on the left to <Software> and click <Applications> (you may have to click the triangle next to Software). It may take a moment, but your Mac will list of the apps installed on your computer. Now click the column labeled 64-bit (Intel) and sort them by Yes/No.

Any apps that are listed as No in the 64-bit column will not work under Catalina.

Optionally, to check for 32-bit apps, you can use this free compatibility scanner app https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.