Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch series 2 wont pair to update

I’m trying to pair my dads old apple watch series 2 to my iphone xs running ios 15.4.1 and an iphone 12 pro running ios15.4.1. whenever i try to update it it just says this:

it only gives me the option to exit. what should i do?

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 2:36 PM

This is rather strange, the Series 2 can go to watchOS 5. I recently paired a series 0 to my moms iPhone 6s running iOS 15, but she did not have iOS 15.4.1 I read last time that old watches do not pair with ios 15 but with my moms watch it worked. THat one was fully updated to watchOS 4 years before tho, maybe thats the issue?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2022 2:36 PM in response to landen210

This is rather strange, the Series 2 can go to watchOS 5. I recently paired a series 0 to my moms iPhone 6s running iOS 15, but she did not have iOS 15.4.1 I read last time that old watches do not pair with ios 15 but with my moms watch it worked. THat one was fully updated to watchOS 4 years before tho, maybe thats the issue?

May 1, 2022 1:17 AM in response to landen210

It's technically possible to pair a watch 1 or 2 to a newer phone,but in reality this is proving almost impossible for just about all the 1&2 owners on this forum.

Newer phone's require the watch to have updated hardware to cope with ios15 and unfortunately because of the age of these watches the hardware is very limited to what it can do.

Then there is the subject of storage,these watches have very little storage space and the average software update now requires gigabytes of space rather than megabytes and again these watches are very limited with the amount of storage space they have.

It is recommended that even a watch 3 should be unpaired and repaired in order to free up enough space to update.

apple watch series 2 wont pair to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.