Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem burning DVDs

Hello!

I am a musician and I burn a lot of DVDs of my own concerts and my own educational material. I use MDRP usually, with no issues. Until about 4 or 5 months ago. I had been still using a MacBook Pro 2012 with Mavericks. No issues...until there were. It became inconsistent. I tried two other LG DVD burners, would work for a bit, then would give me an error. then I'd switch to using the other one, would work for a biit, and then the same thing - it would give me errors.

I seem to have no problem ripping and saving onto an external hard drive.

In January, I bought an MBP M1 Pro Chip;. I also bought ANOTHER DVD burner. Same problem.

I contacted MDRP and they suggested closing MDRP, going directly to the .iso file, right-clicking it, and then choosing Burn DVD from the menu. This is also hit or miss. Once in a while, it works, but most of the time it doesn't. MDRP has told me that if I can burn a disc that way then it is NOT the MDRP software. There has to be a hardware or software issue within my mac.

Since getting my M1 and new DVD burner, I have tried swapping out the USB cable from the external hard drive, I have tried plugging it in directly to my Mac instead of through a hub, I have ripped a video file directly to my internal hard drive, and tried to burn from there - in case there was an issue with the external hard drive, etc. All to no avail.

It seems to me, and I may be way off base, that somehow the software on my old Mac to burn DVDs became corrupted, and then Migration Assistant imported the problem to my new Mac. But, I have no idea how to fix that as I don't know how to redownload just the software that burns DVDs on the mac - only the entire OS.

The errors I get range from it telling me that the burn failed - before it verifies to it getting to the end of the verification and telling me the burn failed and it couldn't be verified to the latest one, as soon as I try to burn a disc - it spins for about 10 seconds, stops and gives me "Error burning disk image: The disc drive didn't respond properly and can't recover or retry."

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 4:04 AM

Q - "that somehow the software on my old Mac to burn DVDs became corrupted, and then Migration Assistant imported the problem to my new Mac. But, I have no idea how to fix that as I don't know how to redownload just the software that burns DVDs on the mac - only the entire OS."

A - If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and other have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Would suggest discontinuing the usage of https://www.macdvdripperpro.com .

Yes they claim it runs faster on Apple Silicon M1 computers but that also specifically state " Any Mac with a DVD drive and Mac OS X 10.13 or higher."

That is a lot of time and versions that has passed since HS was released in 2017 and Now 2022

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 4:04 AM in response to mike32869

Q - "that somehow the software on my old Mac to burn DVDs became corrupted, and then Migration Assistant imported the problem to my new Mac. But, I have no idea how to fix that as I don't know how to redownload just the software that burns DVDs on the mac - only the entire OS."

A - If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and other have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Would suggest discontinuing the usage of https://www.macdvdripperpro.com .

Yes they claim it runs faster on Apple Silicon M1 computers but that also specifically state " Any Mac with a DVD drive and Mac OS X 10.13 or higher."

That is a lot of time and versions that has passed since HS was released in 2017 and Now 2022

Problem burning DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.