Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inactive email accounts keep reappearing

I’ve attempted to delete some inactive email accounts from System Preferences, and they keep reappearing within minutes, whether they are deleted in Safe Boot or not.

The accounts do not appear in Keychain.

any suggestions?

thank you.

13” inch MacBook Pro, mid 2020, MacOS 12.3.1.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 11:59 AM

bluelittlegirl Said:

"Inactive email accounts keep reappearing: I’m sorry. Perhaps I wasn’t clear. These email accounts no longer exist. Thank you."

-------

eMail Account Removal:

Try the following: Remove eMail Accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. Does that work? Or do they keep coming back?

8 replies

May 1, 2022 1:20 PM in response to bluelittlegirl

bluelittlegirl Said:

"Inactive email accounts keep reappearing: Thank you. Yes, I tried that, too. When I hit the '-' it tells me to go to internet accounts in System Preferences. I really do appreciate your suggestions, though. The overly enthusiastic but (hopefully only) poorly trained Apple service rep was extremely unhelpful. I miss the PowerBook era in so many ways. "

-------

You are welcome.

eMail Account Removal:

Restore or Reinstall Anew:

Does this occur on just this Mac? Or does it show up on all of your other devices? If just this Mac, then it would be a matter of (A.)restoration, or (B.)a new install. See the following...

A. Restoring the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Important: First, Back Up your Mac:

Prior to all of this, did you Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac? If so restore your Mac from it. If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always create a backup of your Mac, prior to making any major changes to it (i.e. new install).

B. Reinstalling the macOS Anew:

See if this Site Helps: How to Reinstall the macOS Anew - No TMB Prior to Upgrade - User Tip. Format the hard drive with the applicable macOS, on step D.

In Depth:

Simply, it is a matter of:

1. Erasing: and formatting your hard drive to APFS
  2. Installing: [the applicable macOS] via a USB Bootable Installer
  3. Restoring: info from a Time Machine Backup, using Migration Assistant

Apr 30, 2022 8:23 PM in response to bluelittlegirl

bluelittlegirl Said:

"Inactive email accounts keep reappearing: I’ve attempted to delete some inactive email accounts from System Preferences, and they keep reappearing within minutes, whether they are deleted in Safe Boot or not. The accounts do not appear in Keychain. any suggestions?[...]"

-------

Remove from eMail Account:

Inactive email accounts keep reappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.